RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: RPCS3 FAQ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Ekaseo

d y think you could finish all the core stuff in this year?

Runo

Depends on what you call 'finished'. I hate to give those vague answers every time but that's all we got for now, so here it goes:

The core will never get really perfect, at least not in the near future, since we're HLE'ing the hardware, but we'll get to a point where most things that are implemented work accurately enough for now and what's not implemented we will probably only find out that it exists when not having it causes some problem.
We'll probably get to a stage where the devs will focus on get things running, sometimes focusing on improving accuracy and sometimes focusing on improving speed, which will involve development on every part of the emulator. That's how it *usually* works with this kind of emulator.

Our CPU is currently being interpreted. Writing an Interpreter is the most basic form of emulation, it is relatively easy to achieve accuracy on that part if you have all the info you need about the chip, which we don't, and we're not talking about any chip here, it's an extremely complex one.
The thing is, interpreters are really slow. So at some point in the future, when the interpreter is good enough, we'll probably want to have a dynamic recompiler wrote for the CPU, which is a much more efficient way of emulating it, but is harder to program and harder to get accurate emulation with. In other words, it will have even more bugs and glitches, and that's why it's important to code a interpreter first, so we can debug stuff later.

So considering all that, I don't think we're getting the core done anytime soon, but it'll be playable, eventually. If that's gonna happen this year is hard to say, but I'd doubt it.

Gundark

I already ask this one before, sorry for repeating, but theoretically, is core emulation done enough for running cube test from jpcsp ( recompiled for ps3 ) regardless of state of gfx emulation.

Runo

Rpcsp (which is a PSP emulator for the PS3) won't run anything right now under rpcs3 if that's what you're asking.

elisha464

(05-17-2013, 04:29 PM)Gundark Wrote: [ -> ]I already ask this one before, sorry for repeating, but theoretically, is core emulation done enough for running cube test from jpcsp ( recompiled for ps3 ) regardless of state of gfx emulation.

why not check for yourself??

Gundark

(05-20-2013, 09:10 AM)elisha464 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-17-2013, 04:29 PM)Gundark Wrote: [ -> ]I already ask this one before, sorry for repeating, but theoretically, is core emulation done enough for running cube test from jpcsp ( recompiled for ps3 ) regardless of state of gfx emulation.

why not check for yourself??

Because only core emulation itself isn't enough to run anything. So that's why I said theoretically. I'm perfectly aware that we will not see anything 3d related soon.

Runo

The devs are currently also working a bit on the graphics emulation. You can only emulate a single chip to a certain point, things start to get dependent on each other, specially if you expect them to behave like a system. Wink

Ekaseo

could any1 tell me some unofficial progress on rpcs3? or.. is this still beeing worked on?

Runo

Nothing on my end.. But we had this amount of time without news before. I reckon we'll know if it halts. DH and the others are serious about this.

prashant

When We Can Play Ps3 Games Like God Of War III

[Image: 256px-God_of_War_III_not_final_art.jpg]

Plzz Tell Me...Plzzzzz
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24