RPCS3 Forums

Full Version: Why are you making a PS3 emulator?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

mushroom

Won't enable games to be more playable if libgcm commands aren't further implemented, since the majority of games need them to the fullest extent as on a real PS3. Speed increases would help but the inevitable standstill has been reached and output is being hindered because of this (e.g. textures, unimplemented opcodes and the memory manager has issues as well that causes many games to crash).
(05-03-2014, 09:49 PM)mushroom Wrote: [ -> ]Won't enable games to be more playable if libgcm commands aren't further implemented, since the majority of games need them to the fullest extent as on a real PS3. Speed increases would help but the inevitable standstill has been reached and output is being hindered because of this (e.g. textures, unimplemented opcodes and the memory manager has issues as well that causes many games to crash).

And Spurs as well. Yes, more games won't run with the recompiler, but without it you probably can't even begin to test other games which require the more advanced functions. I mean Disgaea 3 goes as low as 0,3 fps, and it takes an hour to get anywhere. Even if you had all the gcm commands, bug fixes with graphics in general, etc, it could take hours at 0,01 fps to test Final Fantasy or something.

Even considering this, I wouldn't say we have reached a standstill... Plenty of games show errors or don't even run, despite never using any unimplemented gcm commands, etc. So there are plenty of bugs in what we have already Smile

derpf

(05-03-2014, 10:27 PM)ssshadow Wrote: [ -> ]Even considering this, I wouldn't say we have reached a standstill... Plenty of games show errors or don't even run, despite never using any unimplemented gcm commands, etc. So there are plenty of bugs in what we have already Smile

More importantly, when we get Disgaea 3 to show character sprites it will actually look playable and we will seem cool for once.

Just don't tell them it runs at 1/3 FPS. Big Grin (That will improve with some of the stuff people are working on, though, don't worry.)

Hykem

(05-03-2014, 09:49 PM)mushroom Wrote: [ -> ]Won't enable games to be more playable if libgcm commands aren't further implemented, since the majority of games need them to the fullest extent as on a real PS3. Speed increases would help but the inevitable standstill has been reached and output is being hindered because of this (e.g. textures, unimplemented opcodes and the memory manager has issues as well that causes many games to crash).

Although that's true, try picturing the fate of the emulator in a more distant future. The more we optimize now, the easier it will be to adapt our code.
Things like libgcm and SPURS are a priority inside the overall context, but our current memory handling system is very poor and it's being an obstacle to properly advance in those areas.
Then again, for a better memory system we also need a reliable interpreter (one that hurts the CPU as little as possible).
With those done, we can then safely focus on different features with less room for unexpected and buggy behavior.

We're definitely not on a standstill, but, in my opinion, this is a good opportunity to focus on some necessary optimizations before getting into more advanced areas.
I've suspend work on SPURS in favor of an interpreter redesign and memory management improvements.

mushroom

I wasn't meaning to say that rpcs3 has reached its fate. What I was meaning to say was that the standstill lies in the fact that there's plenty of limiting issues that will impede much further testing: SPURS hasn't been finished, memory manager issues, plenty of unresolved issues from the debugger such as errors in memory writes, errors with opcodes, errors in implementing some instructions; unstable, crappy interpreter, no dynamic recompilation of the games, no stable I/O. LibGCM commands seem to be limited, OpenGL isn't quite optimized enough yet, and there's also going to be decryption issues with some games.

In short, RPCS3 needs a great deal of work to further expand its ability to emulate and play more games accurately. Some things, as far as I can tell, should be rewritten in some areas (interpreter and memory manager, for one).

haagens

what I find strange is that the contributors of rpcs3 have gone up, but commits to master have slowed down: https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3/commits/master

Don't know if there's lots of stuff doing before committing, but before the commits would be way more frequent (every 1-2 days) and there was only like 16-17 contributors. More people must be getting stuff merged but the frequency of commits has slowed down to as long as every week or so, and commits look much smaller:

https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3/commit/...7e340a2fe0

I remember one merge for input a while ago that had like 6,000 new lines of fresh code, but now things have slowed and there's mostly small merges and minor updates.

Bigpet

It's an open source project that's been running since 2011, things will slow down and speed up naturally as people find time, there's naturally going to be bursts of commits in some times (time between semesters for students, etc.). This isn't a sprint it's a marathon.

Also we have been doing quite a lot of structural changes to provide better infrastructure for consistent development (not breaking things every time). We have initial structural integrity tests with the ps3autotests and we now have Travis CI for making sure that linux compilation doesn't break. I've been investigating into splitting up the compilation into multiple units (core, gui for now) for multiple reasons, including better test-ability.

Just don't expect things to happen, ever. So you'll be positively surprised when progress is made and you won't be disappointed when things go stale for days, weeks or months.

skyeyes83

(05-05-2014, 07:32 PM)haagens Wrote: [ -> ]what I find strange is that the contributors of rpcs3 have gone up, but commits to master have slowed down: https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3/commits/master

Don't know if there's lots of stuff doing before committing, but before the commits would be way more frequent (every 1-2 days) and there was only like 16-17 contributors. More people must be getting stuff merged but the frequency of commits has slowed down to as long as every week or so, and commits look much smaller:

I remember one merge for input a while ago that had like 6,000 new lines of fresh code, but now things have slowed and there's mostly small merges and minor updates.
Haagens i've seen you're working on a ps3 emulator named cellx3,

https://github.com/haagens/CellX3

when you'll release something? At least some commit to prove that it's real :p is it based on rpcs3?
(05-05-2014, 09:18 PM)skyeyes83 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2014, 07:32 PM)haagens Wrote: [ -> ]what I find strange is that the contributors of rpcs3 have gone up, but commits to master have slowed down: https://github.com/DHrpcs3/rpcs3/commits/master

Haagens i've seen you're working on a ps3 emulator named cellx3,

when you'll release something? At least some commit to prove that it's real :p is it based on rpcs3?

I see about 400 lines of code there. It most assuredly isn't a ps3 emulator.

(05-05-2014, 09:34 PM)AlexAltea Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2014, 09:18 PM)skyeyes83 Wrote: [ -> ]when you'll release something? At least some commit to prove that it's real :p is it based on rpcs3?

Nah, he is too busy writing blogs against us, difamating people, and making scam videos.

Oh wow, from the project description:

Quote:PS3 emulator for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android on x64. Supports a few commercial games, and can currently reach intro with Little Big Planet, but game's not playable yet.

Full list of game compatibility:

1.Castle Crashers (some gameplay, partially playable, but not fully).

2.Sonic Unleashed (boot screen + intro; no gameplay yet).

3.Final Fantasy XIII (boot title, no gameplay).

gr8 b8 m8, i r8 it 8/8.

hlide

(05-05-2014, 09:18 PM)skyeyes83 Wrote: [ -> ]Haagens i've seen you're working on a ps3 emulator named cellx3,

more like an empty shell from what I read...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7