What does one do to try it out?
Started by Chizbang

11 posts in this topic
Chizbang
Unregistered

03-09-2014, 01:58 AM -
Id imagine youd need a .pkg of any given game and then youd go to the Boot drop down menu and then press install pkg?
Just checkin!
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
03-09-2014, 02:03 AM -
Yes. Some games like Scrogger are just a single .elf file (think like an .exe for a ps3), in that case it file -> load (s)elf. Commercial games ripped from a disc are just a big folder of stuff. Select file -> boot game and pick the folder.

In all cases there is a run button also...
Chizbang
Unregistered

03-09-2014, 02:08 AM -
I have Terraria and Have tried launching from the folder and the boot and eboot with these results:
http://pastebin.com/PJS94CfY
Chizbang
Unregistered

03-09-2014, 02:19 AM -
LOL! Oh wow. Please excuse my profound stupidity. jesus christ, lets forget that happened... Confused
Im now facing a new problem... The window shows up and goes white and this is half of what shows in the console:
http://pastebin.com/3wjNbq13

Then the screen goes black :c
Chizbang
Unregistered

03-09-2014, 02:49 AM -
Ahh! I thought it crashed by the way it said: LoadProgramFailed. Theres also a debug error about an MP3 codec?
Anyway, I think this is such a cool project! Big Grin As a programmer who wants to understand the underlying mechanics of emulation, this is all fascinating to me

Oh and after that error occurs, the emulator stops and I have to press resume which then crashes it
[W : RSXThread]: NV4097_SET_COLOR_MASK_MRT: fff0
[W : RSXThread]: LoadProgram: m_cur_shader_prog == NULL
[E : RSXThread]: LoadProgram failed.
[E : PPU[40] Thread (EE ResourceLoop)[0x009cc040]]: sys_fs error: "/ui/leaderboards/eater_column.gtf" not found! flags: 0x00000000
[W : PPU[41] Thread (NetworkThread)[0x0058c010]]: cellSysmodule warning: cellSysmoduleLoadModule(CELL_SYSMODULE_NET)
ssshadow
Administrator

03-09-2014, 10:12 AM -
This game requires at least 3 common workarounds to display something.

1. You need to move some files because they get installed to the wrong directory.
2. You need to dump the mp3 codec file from your ps3... Google it...
3. You need to pause some thread that loops forever in the debugger. (The thread that continuously spams like the two same errors over and over again)

I suggest reading around on the forum for game testing and getting to know the emulator better. And of course, experiment on your own hand. The goal is to minimise the amount of errors shown.
Chizbang
Unregistered

03-09-2014, 11:00 AM -
Ah, thanks for the info, ssshadow! Il be back home soon so il give it a try in a couple of hours. I'm amazed at how well the emulator performed for you with terrariia! I honestly thought we woukdnt even come close to any frame rates higher than 6.
PS: any good suggestions for some threads to read? I hate to noob the place up as everyone seems to know what they are doing, I swear to god il contribute to support by making a tutorial on basics 101 or something.
ssshadow
Administrator

03-09-2014, 02:08 PM -
(03-09-2014, 11:00 AM)Chizbang Wrote: Ah, thanks for the info, ssshadow! Il be back home soon so il give it a try in a couple of hours. I'm amazed at how well the emulator performed for you with terrariia! I honestly thought we woukdnt even come close to any frame rates higher than 6.
PS: any good suggestions for some threads to read? I hate to noob the place up as everyone seems to know what they are doing, I swear to god il contribute to support by making a tutorial on basics 101 or something.

Look at some of the game reports that I have made for instance Wink But really, the three workarounds above, move game data around, get files from the PS3 OS and pause threads that hang or loop with errors is pretty much the best you can do to try and get games to run. Always look in the log for sys_fs errors, files that can't be found, because these can always be fixed by moving files around and maybe setting up paths in the virtual file system manager. (The only exception I think is Nier which has strange bugs and can't read it's own packed data)

Edit: the reported frame rate for terraria is incorrect...
Chizbang
Unregistered

03-09-2014, 03:52 PM -
Ahh! Thanks for the info.
I have tried pausing a threads after it pauses the emulation but after pausing one thread, I cant pause others... maybe im not cut out for testing this, haha.
I can understand if you dont wanna give me the low down on it all, you have much much much better things to be doing :p
ssshadow
Administrator

03-09-2014, 03:55 PM -
Yeah, that's some strange behaviour I noticed to. But really its only the Swap game and Terraria that needs it for one thread respectively AFAIK.