RPCS3 FAQ
Started by shadow

235 posts in this topic
Sincereless
Unregistered

05-10-2013, 05:46 PM -
On a personal note, Why isn't there an universal emulator that can run through all the old consoles?
Zekro
Unregistered

05-10-2013, 05:49 PM -
Maybe because they have all different structures so making an universal one would be very hard.Also there is the bios problem with the ps2 emu and who knows what on the others
Ekaseo
Unregistered

05-10-2013, 07:19 PM -
pcsx2 is LLE-ed, so its slow? then if there were a HLE ps2 emu, would it be better? (of course bios would have to be emulated)
Runo
Unregistered

05-10-2013, 11:39 PM -
(05-10-2013, 07:19 PM)Ekaseo Wrote: pcsx2 is LLE-ed, so its slow? then if there were a HLE ps2 emu, would it be faster?

I believe that is what you meant. Faster doesn't mean better. And the answer is yes, it would be faster, but making an HLE PS2 emulator would be insane because of the PS2 hardware design. Almost impossible to achieve a decent accuracy I'd say, it'd never get good.

Also, just FWIW, HLEing makes the BIOS files unnecessary. You just emulate its behavior.
Ekaseo
Unregistered

05-11-2013, 12:09 AM -
hm... its kind of interesting :/ so for rpcs3 , you dont know the PS3 hardware design (or maybe you do) and just chose HLE, cuz even now there isnt much info bout how the ps3 works, and if it would be impossible to make it with HLE, going to LLE would be very difficult... or d y certainly know that HLE has future for ps3 emulation?
Runo
Unregistered

05-11-2013, 03:39 AM -
Well actually there is info, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to make an emulator XD
There is not much public info out there, but DH (and the others) has good understanding of how the PS3 CPU works, that the scene gets by debugging and reverse engineering a console.

This should be very possible, there's nothing I can think about the Cell architecture that should make HLE'ing impracticable, and it is coming along nicely so far. We got the virtual CPU actually running stuff..
Ekaseo
Unregistered

05-11-2013, 03:18 PM -
btw, what d you think bout this?:
https://code.google.com/p/rpcs3/issues/detail?id=18
Runo
Unregistered

05-12-2013, 06:42 AM -
I think he posted that in the wrong place Tongue
Seriously tough, I don't know what that is about, the devs will be able to determine if it is of any use Wink
Sounds like a debug tool for the PS3, could be useful to get info on how some stuff work if that's the case.
Hykem
Unregistered

05-12-2013, 02:55 PM -
(05-11-2013, 03:18 PM)Ekaseo Wrote: btw, what d you think bout this?:
https://code.google.com/p/rpcs3/issues/detail?id=18

Those are some of the .idc scripts used in PS3IDA, an adaptation of the PS3's code analysis for the IDA Pro disassembler written by KaKaRoTo ( https://github.com/kakaroto/ps3ida ). DH and me are already using this method to analyze and debug PS3's executables. Wink
Runo
Unregistered

05-12-2013, 09:31 PM -
Nice Big Grin