The CPU is not fully used, as a result of which I lose performance
Started by MarkBrown711

0 posts in this topic
MarkBrown711

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Jan 2023
Question  01-11-2023, 12:09 AM -
I ran into a problem. I decided to use this emulator to run one very forgotten game. I know that at the moment it is in the status of "being launched" and, in principle, is not fully supported, but considering that support for such a little-known game is unlikely to be implemented, the only way to solve problems is to solve them independently. I have a fairly good CPU, which copes very well with work tasks and is more than enough for any tasks, although there are more expensive solutions. When I start the game, I get an average fps of about 30, with drawdowns up to 20 and lower in some cases, which naturally does not allow me to play comfortably. I expected Ryzen 5 2600 if not 60 stable fps, then at least adequate 40 or 45. Moreover, if we make calculations and take into account that rpcs3 loads the processor by 74-75%, and the difference between 30 and 45 fps is 25%, from which it logically follows that to achieve 45 stable fps, just those 25% of my CPU performance that the emulator so kindly ignores is missing. In this appeal, I will fix a screenshot showing the statistics of the speed of work, the level of CPU utilization, as well as the modes in which it works. Here it turns out a funny situation: my processor has 6 physical cores and 12 logical cores, and therefore it is the logical cores that are relevant for programs. By means of windows, through the task manager, I can allocate certain cores for each program. When I allocate only 8 logical cores to the rpcs3 process, I get 100% load while maintaining the same performance, but as soon as I return access to all 12 cores, the performance does not change, and I get a load drop of up to 75%. And okay, if I had a limit on TDP or voltage/frequency in my BIOS, or TurboBoost would be disabled. But there are no restrictions either in windows or in the BIOS. Trotling is immediately excluded, since I use a good cooling system, as a result of which the temperature under load does not rise above 60 ° C
At the same time, the processor of the higher price segment, we are talking about the i9 11900k, calmly pulls out a stable 60 fps with a load of 40%. Of course, it is more than 2 times more powerful and it scores more points in the cinebench r23 test, but its performance is too excessive. In addition, it is very expensive and I don't want to pay so much money for the CPU, and my processor is doing great and its capacity should be enough for everything. However, I am getting a 25% performance loss due to reduced cores usage. Such a percentage cannot be raised by any acceleration. Maybe AMD has such a problem that they have losses when using all cores? Or does Intel have the same story? Share information about how things are on Intel processors, is there a difference for rpcs3 in the platform? And the main question is, if someone has encountered such a problem and solved it on their own, please provide me with complete instructions on how to use all the processor's capabilities so that I add 25% of the load and get a 20-25% increase?
Important note. I tested my processor in different ways for defective/incorrect settings. AIDA64 loads the processor by 100%, the same situation with the cinebench r23 test also uses the entire processor by 100% at a frequency of 3.7 Ghz for all cores, the number of points completely coincides with the norm and is no different from the tests of other instances of this processor. Yes, I know that these are stock frequencies and that 4 Ghz can be done, but I don't think that a few hundred MHz will be able to give 25% performance, and the TDP is growing a lot. Still, the problem of load drawdown is up to 75%. I don't know if this happens at Intel. Theoretically, Intel doesn't have such a problem, but I can't test it in practice.
If someone knows the solution, I will be very grateful if I receive it, because I do not want to buy a new processor, yet the wallet is not rubber. Of course, I am considering buying a CPU, but this is quite an extreme case if the problem cannot be solved programmatically. But at now, I am sure that the problem can be solved programmatically, without resorting to replacing components.

PC Configuration:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (3.7 GHz STOCK)
GPU: GTX 1050 TI (OC STRIX)
RAM: 2x8 DDR4 2933 MHz CL16 Dual Channel
SSD: M2 NVME

Machine translation tools are used for this text. Please understand and forgive for the inconvenience.

Screen shot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xHUh_5p...p=drivesdk

Performance below 30 fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_vYRTm...sp=sharing
This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 01:04 PM by MarkBrown711.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)