How to hack any Sony PlayStation 3 roms with the "rpcs3" emulator only?
Started by pcsx3

0 posts in this topic
pcsx3

14 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2022
08-26-2022, 06:25 PM -
I tried to google answers to this question and it appears that all hacks are done with Cheat Engine only.

I did find that rpcs3 does have a patch support.

You need to create a yml file inside the patches folder and write all rom patches in that yml file in a format that rpcs3 understands.

I tried to find some patches for some PS3 roms that can be used with rpcs3 but it appears that these patches just do stuff like unlock FPS to 60, change screen resolution, improve PS3 rom performance so gameplay is more smooth and etc, but I didn't find any patches that modify the difficulty of the PS3 rom, like making it easier with god mode, invulnerability, infinite money, infinite ammo and etc.

This was easy for me to google encrypted codes (GameShark, CodeBreaker, Action Replay and etc) that have to be converted to raw codes by a software that can do that and can be downloaded for free, like OmniConvert, and then translate them to pnach to hack any PS2 rom with pcsx2.

Even googling raw codes that do not require any conversion but just translating them to pnach was not hard for me to do.

Of course that the name of the pnach must match the CRC of the emulated PS2 rom which can be found on the log window of pcsx2 and must be inside the cheats folder and at last check the "Enable Cheats" in the system menu but doing all this was easy for me and easily I succeed to hack many PS2 roms and make them easier than normal by using codes that others discovered some years ago.

Recently I learned how to make my own cheats by just using the Assemble Opcode feature of pcsx2 1.6.0 Debugger.

The addresses of the variables that I wanted to hack I found with the Cheat Engine memory scans and then I used both the "read" and "write on change" breakpoints of pcsx2 1.6.0 Debugger to find all the L and S instructions that access these variables and assembled them to replace them with "nop" instruction or even better, I stepped out and replaced the "jal" instruction that invokes the function with the instruction that accesses the variable.

This way I succeed to achieve invulnerability and make all the items in the shop free (no need money at all to buy all of them).

And funny that I did not have to create any pnach file and check the "Enable Cheats" in the system menu at all.

In rpcs3 I did find out that it has a Debugger but I did not find out that the Debugger can create any breakpoint.

I don't even know if I can assemble any opcodes with this debugger.

I can hack rpcs3 and any PS3 rom that rpcs3 emulates with Cheat Engine only but in this case I will prefer to get the Steam version of the game instead since Cheat Engine can hack any process not only rpcs3 and PS3 roms that rpcs3 emulates.

Also hacking with Cheat Engine is difficult for me and I use it only to find addresses of PS2 roms variables emulated by pcsx2. All hacks are done via the Assemble Opcode of pcsx2 1.6.0 Debugger. I don't even use the memory edit of Cheat Engine to hack any PS2 rom that pcsx2 emulates.

Besides Cheat Engine lacks "Find out what reads from this address" and pcsx2 1.6.0 Debugger does not lack read only breakpoints which I use to assemble lb, lbu, lh, lhu and lw instruction to li instruction to achieve more awesome cheats that make the PS2 rom either easier or harder.

Pcsx2 1.6.0 Debugger does have read only breakpoints and this is another reason for me to hack PS2 roms with pcsx2 Debugger only and not with Cheat Engine at all.

This is weird that rpcs3 has a Debugger that can not create any breakpoint.

If this is really true then is it possible at least to google patches that can be used with rpcs3 that make the PS3 roms easier more than just improve PS3 rom performance at least?

I must know that before I decide if to download the PS3 version of the game or the Steam version of the game.

PS3 roms are bigger than PS2 roms in general which means that downloading PS3 roms take more time than downloading PS2 roms in general and PS3 roms take more storage and disk space so I can have less of them.

Also my download speed is low and my storage and disk space is low too and I can't afford to download both versions of the same game (PS3 and Steam).

I must choose one and before I choose I must find the answer to my question.

To know if I am going to hack with Cheat Engine only or with rpcs3 features.
This post was last modified: 10-01-2022, 03:16 PM by pcsx3.