Tekken 5 -Dark Resurrection- (Non-"Online" variant) [NPUB30009] Hangs on Intro/Demo
Started by Jinzan

1 posts in this topic
Jinzan

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2022
08-02-2022, 03:08 PM -
Greetings, first time posting this type of information, but to provide a little context I run Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection in a Namco arcade cabinet (along with some other similar titles like Tekken Tag 2, SoulCalibur II HD, what have you), and have been trying to run Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection on it as well.

For a reason I've been unable to diagnose, the game will hang at various, seemingly random points during the intro movie and freeze. I've messed around with a variety of settings based on other support posts, updated RPCS3 itself, the GPU drivers, more or less all the standard stuff.

Separately, I've also encountered this issue with the version of this same game called "Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online", albeit less frequently; it was just easier to reproduce on this version for log purposes.

Log file's attached on the post here but here are the top-level specs just for reference:
RPCS3 v0.0.23-13993-c75b76dd Alpha | master
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz | 12 Threads | 15.84 GiB RAM | TSC: 2.592GHz | AVX-512+ | FMA3
Operating system: Windows, Major: 10, Minor: 0, Build: 22000, Service Pack: none, Compatibility mode: 0
Qt version: Compiled against Qt 5.15.2 | Run-time uses Qt 5.15.2

.7z   RPCS3log.7z (Size: 895.42 KB / Downloads: 10)
Jinzan

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2022
08-10-2022, 02:30 AM -
Just as a follow-up, I've done some additional troubleshooting in an attempt to isolate what might be the cause. Incidentally, I tried running the closest game to this one in terms of what I imagine is a similar file structure, SoulCalibur II HD (itself also a port of a PS2/Namco System 246 game on the PS3 with a looping FMV demo mode), but was not able to recreate the issue with that.

With the feedback of some helpful folks in the discord, I tried the following (both in isolation and together):
-Toggling HLE on libvdec
-Toggling Strict Rendering Mode
-On the suggestion that it may be a slight regression, I tried running it in several prior iterations of RPCS3, going back to late 2020
Specifically these were
0.0.23.14014 (the original one I tried)
All resulted in the same freeze.

Lastly, wondering if it might be something to do with my own NVIDIA Control Panel settings, I returned those to default and ran it again, but the same freeze occurred. Other than this, no other Namco game with an FMV intro like this freezes in this manner (tested Tekken 6, SoulCalibur II HD, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Tekken Tag Tournament HD). Even the game in question here runs fine *when in-game*, but something seems to cause it hang while loading the FMV video for the intro at random points.