issue with trial / demo games
Started by bundangdon

14 posts in this topic
Bavanity

30 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2021
09-25-2021, 02:54 AM -
All my HDD games have reverted to trial mode.. Do you know how difficult it is for someone as technically challenged as me to transfer games from PS3, then nothing would work and I was told to rename edat to rap, I installed that and everything worked.

How many hours or days of work do I have to do now? All I have in most instances, cause I deleted everything but PKG and rap file.. I just tried reinstalling broken ones from scratch and they come up as trial. PKG and RAP. Now I have to connect my PS3 all over again, log in and do all this again? My PS3 is put away in cupboard for 2 years since RPCS3. My main thing was not to lose games like afterburner climax, outrun etc that I bought in AU eshop. I am happy to show my email receipts of all my purchases.

Can you imagine going crazy trying to continue my game and google search having nothing about this issue, just by luck I found this topic in the forum and joined up today.

And his message is "some people will complain who didn't decrypt their game properly".
NO, we did what we were told to do for YEARS now, and everything worked.

Please put a tickbox for previous mode so people like me do not lose all their games. I can't even continue save games cause now everything in trial mode.

I do not even understand your instructions on this page at ALL, zero comprehension, on what I am supposed to do to fix this.

Can you imagine, I thought my whole system broke, so I removed my entire RPCS3 install, have lost 20 GB of cache I will have to render all over again, as I did an all fresh install thinking something was broken. I have to also install every game again but now how do I even do that? Just.. WOW.
This post was last modified: 09-25-2021, 10:05 PM by Ani.
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
09-25-2021, 10:02 PM -
I removed the bad faith parts of your comment.
We're here voluntarily helping each others, we don't get a single cent from donations, threats or bad faith claims will only make people not want to help you.

> Please put a tickbox for previous mode so people like me do not lose all their games
No. The previous behaviour was wrong, and you don't lose any data, you just need to move files around to their correct places now.

Any files in dev_hdd0/home/USERID/exdata that are in subdirectories (e.g. NPEA00001, etc) need to be moved to the main exdata directory.
If you have any files with the incorrect extensions, you need to name them with the proper extensions, as I already said above.
16 byte files are .rap, 352 byte files are .edat.

The behaviour described above matches the one on a real console.

As for you having manually deleted all of your licences and games, that's really your fault, why would you delete all of your games and licences without having a backup?

Also, to avoid confusion from new users, I have removed some of the older posts that had earlier wrong assumptions on them.
This post was last modified: 09-25-2021, 10:24 PM by Ani.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
Bavanity

30 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2021
09-26-2021, 02:53 AM -
I removed everything cause suddenly RPCS3 was not working properly and I thought it was suddenly a corrupted install, cause almost every game reverted to demo mode. Hdd games I mean. Anything I ripped from BLU ray is fine. I am sorry but it's not working.. apparently this behaviour was changed in July, and everything has been fine until a few days ago.
16 Byte rap files do not work, I renamed a 352 byte rap file to edat and it don't work.
I simply now over write RPCS3 folder with previous build and suddenly everything is full mode again. There are no subfolders like there used to be so there is just one ex data folder with the file authorisations directly in there, as you say.
Look, I am not trying to cause trouble by saying I remove my large $ contribution per year - there's just no point if no HDD games work for me anymore.. I didn't mean  it as a threat or nasty, so I apologise. Peace?

I have NEVER played an emulated game that I don't own, either digitally or physically. This is why for example, my NES emulator library is only 5 games that I still own, Intellivision I have all my original games that I never sold(74)  but no working console etc. Mega drive I have 2 games, Snes just one, Ps2 I have a huge library, OG Xbox ditto, gamecube ditto, PSP ditto. I keep ALL my physical disks so that everything I emulate is legit, I never ever sell my games after I successfully emulate. You should see my cupboards! I was very excited to be able to play PS3 in true HD, and I am only playing games I legitimately own. My emulator libraries are very small, unlike those you see on YouTube with every game in existence in the library. I do the right thing.

And I am telling you it is not working and you are telling me to do something that is not working. That must mean that for all my games, the rap files are corrupt, yet they all work if I go just one build before from a few days ago. How is that even possible?

This is gaining traction all over the net - people are upset.. it's sad that , perhaps, you think that everyone who might have downloaded a PSN game does not own it,? and you don't help the honest ones of us.
You've literally just said "no, that's the way we will do it" and won't even consider options.

so that's it for me. I leave RPCS3 at build 0.0.18-12755-1a2fad4e Alpha
I will never update it again, and just play what I have - I still own many games that aren't compatible yet, but it is what it is. Hopefully some fork or competitor will come some day.
(and to be honest, most my games that aren't compatible yet are blu ray games, so there might be a solution below to keep everyone happy).

(on a side note, By the way, Daytona is not compatible, I do not know why you guys insist on keeping it in compatible column. It's "in game").

I even bought at least 17 PSN games that are still on steam, AGAIN, to make it easer for me as it's so hard for me to understand how to take files off the PS3. I have paid for the same game twice. So I rely on others to help as I will NEVER be able to do that. The only thing I can do is rip a blu ray, that's different, and easy. The joke is, some of those STEAM games don't even work at all on win 10, like blood of the werewolf (well known), and now I can't play it on RPCS3 either.

Maybe I was too harsh but I am human  and I have spent so much time on this and then overnight it stops working, try put yourself in my shoes. My PS3 library is by far my biggest games library as it's my favourite console of all time. I have 83 digital games and 340 physical. Just think of the time needed to set everything up, not to mention losing all that cache.. even with 8 cores at 4.4ghz locked, it takes 10 minutes to first start some games, really bad ones are 20 minutes, multiply that by how many games I have to do again now. of COURSE I thought my entire system was corrupted, cause none of the solutions presented were working. I panicked. I DO have all my PS3 games backed up and mirrored on a raid array, but I do not have the main RPCS3 install folder backed up. There's no need IMO, as the way I have it now, I can't lose the games, and that's what matters. I don't have unlimited gigabytes for everything LOL.

There might be a solution for me:
Is RPCS3 completely portable, i.e, can I have 2 installs on same computer in different folders?? If so, I suppose I can keep all HDD games on the build that works, and the newer build for all my Blue Ray games (assuming nothing changes with requirements there also).
What you are saying to do to fix it does not work for me, so this is the only possible solution and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Ani
Administrator

09-26-2021, 03:26 AM -
> the rap files are corrupt,
No, they're .edat files with the wrong file extension.
See, I just explained that above, yet you ignore what is told to you and proceed to complain when you're the one who's failing to follow the instructions to fix it.
If you change the file name, it won't work, you need to change the extension, and only the extension. And it needs to be .edat, not .rap.edat.

> Look, I am not trying to cause trouble by saying I remove my large $ contribution per year
We have donors-only chat support, if you're really a donor why didn't you ask there first for priority support? Wink

> This is gaining traction all over the net - people are upset.. it's sad that , perhaps, you think that everyone who might have downloaded a PSN game does not own it,? and you don't help the honest ones of us.
> You've literally just said "no, that's the way we will do it" and won't even consider options.
> so that's it for me. I leave RPCS3 at build 0.0.18-12755-1a2fad4e Alpha
> I will never update it again, and just play what I have - I still own many games that aren't compatible yet, but it is what it is. Hopefully some fork or competitor will come some day.

There are no other options, the current behaviour is correct. Anyone that can read code can look at the commits and clearly understand that the previous behaviour was broken.
You need to understand that you're wrong, and instead of arguing something you have no idea how it works, and making a scene, focus on fixing your files as I've explained several times.

Honestly, I've already explained this over and over, what you just said above that I quoted is clearly meant to piss me off so from now on I'm not going to rewrite the same explanation in different ways until you finally understand what you're doing wrong.

With that attitude, you're already lucky to have gotten this much help.
This post was last modified: 09-26-2021, 03:57 AM by Ani.
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
Ani
Administrator

09-26-2021, 09:17 PM -
I have removed your latest reply and locked this thread. Enough is enough, and I should have done this right after your previous reply either way.

There are enough instructions here on how to fix issues with broken setups.
All other users I've helped have managed to fix their broken files.

Next time you ask for support anywhere on the internet, instead of writing huge walls of text full of nothing and a few attacks in the middle, provide proper information on what you're doing, screenshots, examples of file names, paths used and so on.

For other users that stumble onto this thread, here are a couple other solved discussion threads:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rpcs3/comments/..._versions/
https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/10931
This post was last modified: 09-26-2021, 09:31 PM by Ani.