Intriguing performance bug
Started by boomsticked

0 posts in this topic
boomsticked

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Apr 2021
Tongue  04-28-2021, 12:15 AM -
To start off, I do not have the ideal setup for emulation. I'm on a laptop and my cpu is not up to the recommended specs

GTX 1660 Ti
i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
8 gb ram

The entire reason I downloaded RPCS3 was to play demon souls. The ingame fps counter said I could maintain 60 fps, however from what I understand it's not very reliable. Regardless, the game was pretty smooth. The issue I found myself running up against was relating to the sound which would get completely borked. This is due to my specs. This dilemma sent me down a rabbit hole looking for ways to squeeze as much frames as I could out of the emulator, fixing the sound bug in the process? One "arrowflask" on reddit gave me some hope, as he seemed quite knowledgeable about optimization, having supposedly gotten a stable 60 fps with no audio issues on an i5-4670K. I gave his optimizations a shot and... EUREKA! it works, buttery smooth 60 fps with no audio problems. Unfortunately I was quickly let down when I came back later to find that, with the same setup, the audio bug reared it's ugly head once again. At first I thought it was a fluke that it didn't show up but I figured out how to replicate the buttery smoothness so that's why I'm making this thread. With how finnicky this has been I'm betting it won't work on other peoples systems but this is how I did it: First, I reset all of the emulators settings back to default, and unchecked the 60 fps patch. After that I copied the changes found here. I would then start up the game without the 60 fps patch, confirming the sound bug is not present at 30 fps, which at least for my specs, it isn't. I then close the game, apply the 60 fps patch, and then start it up again. Then for that one session it runs beautifully. I still am not entirely sure what to do with this information but I thought sharing it on the forums would be a good idea at the least.