Possible Idea for quicker translation of games
Started by sandman15552000

0 posts in this topic
sandman15552000

4 posts 1 threads Joined: Dec 2017
Lightbulb  04-24-2021, 06:26 PM -
Here's what I've been thinking. how movies can have a text-rich file called an srt. It uses time stamps to know when to show and not show a subtitle. it doesn't take any kind of coding you just watch the movie look at the time stamp at the beginning and end of the sentence. write the translation in the middle of the two and then play movie again. 
   We have this wonderful asset in rpcs3 called Log Console. How hard would it be to make an overlay add-on or third-party app implementation that would monitor the log for assets that load? Find the ones that correspond with text loading copy and paste to a text file. Put translation after the queue from the log that tax has cleared. then move on to the next. It would be an overlay and not as pretty as native translation, but would drastically reduce the time needed to translate a game removing the need for code and texture editing and letting people that just know multiple languages make text files. It would also make for quick collaboration as well as provide a much more solid translation than features like on retroarch with auto-translate. 

What do you think

I should add that I can already do this with macro and text overlay program. But it is dependant on images, screen resolution and if window position or resolution is off it will just plain not work. You cant go full screen. also if there are any fluctuating effects by or on texts it can take some time to detect.

monitoring the log file would be much more accurate and universal. Also, I am aware that it would take a little programming to implement such a third-party overlay. That is why I haven't done it myself yet. But anyone that would be willing to take up that mantel the reward of creating such a tool would be exponential and contagious I'm sure spreading to other emulators. Some other emulators I can think of right off the bat that could benefit and have very accessible logs is: Cemu, Cirtra, pcsx 2.
This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 02:56 PM by sandman15552000. Edit Reason: added info