MGS4 won't start, RPCS3 crashes
Started by blaww89

0 posts in this topic
blaww89

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Mar 2021
04-08-2021, 11:28 PM -
I'll preface this by saying that I know Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't considered playable or even particularly stable, but for a long time I was able to boot the game and test things. Lately however, it won't even start; the window flashes on screen and then RPCS3 closes out without any error message. 

Updating or rolling back GPU drivers, deleting RPCS3 and starting over fresh, editing/deleting custom configurations, etc doesn't work. I managed to get it it running again once by completely reinstalling Wndows, but then I set the resolution scale to 4K, caused it to crash, and now I'm right back to the same problem. 

RPCS3.log. Appreciate any help, thanks.

Edit- Seems I've figured it out. Something about the MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner Statistcs Server's on-screen display was causing crashing when using the Vulkan renderer. Disabling the overlay fixed everything. Not sure if it's a recent change in RPCS3, Nvidia drivers or Afterburner, as I've ran the overlay before without issues.
This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 10:44 PM by blaww89. Edit Reason: problem solved