Soul Calibur 5 issues with different RPCS3 versions
Started by SoulCaliburSoul

2 posts in this topic
SoulCaliburSoul

5 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2018
Thumbs Up  04-03-2021, 12:51 AM -
Hi guys, new to the forums but really happy about RPCS3 huge progress over the last months.

My system:

i5 9600k @4.6 Ghz (no overclock).
RX580 8gb
Win 10 Pro updated
Asrock z390 pro

RPSC3 versions: 

rpcs3-v0.0.6-8465-d48d424b_win64
rpcs3-v0.0.10-10556-9679ae68_win64

I have enjoyed a lot with the emulator, specially the games Soul Calibur 4 and 5, being SC IV perfectly playable on both builds I have of the emu, but SCV presents some interesting issues:

After months of trial and error with the setup, and hours of playing I would like to share:

On version v0.0.6-8465, the game is quite playable: 
  • 20-30 fps on non character/selection screens (not that this would intefere with game experience tho).
  • 59-60 fps on battle, arcade mode, Legendary Souls, etc.  Heart
  • Around 30 fps on training mode Confused .
  • Ezio works really good, may be a bit laggy on some stages but nothing annoying.
  • Cinematics play asynchronus and around at 30-40 fps. Sad
  • Antialias and texture resolution is pretty good in this version, still not perfect fps tho.

On rpcs3-v0.0.10-10556 + SPU MLAA disable patch, game runs like a charm:
  • Full fps on basically any mode.
  • Cinematics also run at 59-60 fps.
  • Sound is basically perfect too.
The real problem comes from the aliasing I can notice on this version, with or without the SPU-MLAA patch the aliasing compared to the .6-8465 version is annoying to my trained eyes. So the real question here is, Can we get the 8465 version to be able to use  the SPU patch?, Why is the alias worse in a more recent version ([b]v0.0.10-10556) and what can we do about it?, is there any hack, patch or anything to improve the aliasing in the RPCS3?[/b]

And yes, I have downloaded countless versions of the emu, previous to that .10 version, some others in the .6's, and have done multiple tests and don't seem to have that desired antialias, weirdly enough one version gives me better antialias and the other the best fps. Also on the v0.0.10-10556, once i try to use resolution higher than default, the game gets even more aliased, while in the v0.0.6-8465, in the 200% to 300% range is the best. 

Also for this game, the newest the emu, the slower it gets, so i stick with the older version of the emu, I just need to discover how to get that perfect fps with the good AA old version gives me. Any information and help on this is appreciated. I attached alias comparison screenshot, v0.0.6-8465 on the left.

Thanks so much for your cooperation and I hope this helps other SC games fans.
This post was last modified: 04-03-2021, 11:27 PM by SoulCaliburSoul.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Stalemate8119

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Apr 2021
04-03-2021, 09:21 AM -
Hey

I have Soulcalibur V both EU and USA discs.

RPCS3 0.0.15-12034-9c7230e7 Alpha.
Ryzen 5 @4.05ghz
Radeon R9 270x OC
16gb ram @3.2ghz
Windows 10 Pro

Runs fine around 40-60 FPS every mode but i am experiencing serious rendering issues, white characters, missing parts, colors not accurate.
Seems that none of the settings dont make any difference, i used Vulkan renderer, basically default options but i tried mess up with the resolution settings and write color buffers.
i suspect my GPU , but for example SCIV runs perfect with any normal resolution and deafult settings.

has anyone found solution so far for SCV issues?
SoulCaliburSoul

5 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2018
04-03-2021, 11:38 PM -
(04-03-2021, 09:21 AM)Stalemate8119 Wrote: Hey

I have Soulcalibur V both EU and USA discs.

RPCS3 0.0.15-12034-9c7230e7 Alpha.
Ryzen 5 @4.05ghz
Radeon R9 270x OC
16gb ram @3.2ghz
Windows 10 Pro

Runs fine around 40-60 FPS every mode but i am experiencing serious rendering issues, white characters, missing parts, colors not accurate.
Seems that none of the settings dont make any difference, i used Vulkan renderer, basically default options but i tried mess up with the resolution settings and write color buffers.
i suspect my GPU , but for example SCIV runs perfect with any normal resolution and deafult settings.

has anyone found solution so far for SCV issues?
Hi bro, U need to enable "Write color buffers" on GPU setup, and "Scale THreshold" value to 512 and that should fix the texture/color glitches.

As for the fps/performance thing, try running a previous version of the emu, from my experience with the emu (more than 2 years of using, downloading and trying different versions for different reasons) I would say SCV works better with older builds, at least for my build, in the 0.0.5's to the 0.0.10's range is the best so far, any version above that will lag like hell even with the SPU patch.

Also consider that ur PC is a bit "weak" for RPCS3 standards, if u try older version of the emu (maybe the versions I have, i guarantee you that u will have better performance.

SCV works like a charm for me atm, only issue is the alias (Not that it is unbearable tho, just a bit annoying to my eye-candied-trained eyes) I get from the version I get full 60 fps even in cinematics.

Good luck with you tests as I know that takes lots of time and effort, maybe someday we can have some GGs, I have all SC's, maybe we can play some SC6 Smile.
This post was last modified: 04-03-2021, 11:42 PM by SoulCaliburSoul.