current release 0.0.13-11444 less performance than previous version for "old CPUs" ?
Started by Augusto

3 posts in this topic
Augusto

79 posts 40 threads Joined: Feb 2018
12-20-2020, 02:06 PM -
Hello.
I use RPCS3 for some games since several previous versions (2018 versions) and see current release rpcs3-v0.0.13-11444 has extremely less performance for AMD FX.
Using Ubuntu 20.10 AMD FX-6300 4 GB DDR3 1.6 GHZ GT 640 Vulkan.
Some games has less performance than several previous versions.
Motorstorm Pacific Rift Demo had above 15 to 17 FPS and current release is less of 10 FPS.
TMNT Turtles in Time re-shelled had 60 FPS and current release is below 55 FPS and use CPU less of 50 %.

I not wait play The Last of US, UC2-3, GT6 or others games that use extremely the Cell.
Previous versions for some games run with good speed.
Need test with others games.

I see much about new performance improvements in each new release, but with the AMD FX look how is having less performance.
The performance improvements are only for i5, i7 and Ryzen ?
Is possible that each peformance improvement added in RPCS3 break performance for AMD FX CPUs ?
I allways select to use 4 threads for SPU, not scaling or other settings that use more processing.
Other strange detail is that even each game not running 100 % the GPU not is used totally being less of 60 or 70 % and in other test underclocking the memory frequency to half default value have an huge impact in emulation. In TMNT drop from 55 FPS to 38 FPS. Perhaps with Geforce 1000 series has less performance underclocking the memory frequency.

FX-6300 has 6 cores being half of performance of I7 for each core.
RAM 4 GB not is exactly enough ? I use Lubuntu and the OS plus RPCS3 without started an game are using less of 650 MB RAM.
When trying to start GOD Ascension has times that is displayed an message about sudo VM lock increase size limit. If related with not having enough free RAM is strange because when the error message is displayed has more of 1.. GB RAM free.

I had tested Gran Turismo 6 demo only to see how will be emulated with AMD FX. The performance was between 9 to 12 FPS.
GOD Ascension load and after of developer screen nothing happen with black screen and error message in RSX semaphore.

I only has posted here to coders and users read my comments and understand if previous versions will break performance with AMD FX CPUs,
if the coders not had information that AMD FX CPUs and possibly others CPUs are having less performance in each new release and if the coders has goals to each speed improvement also reach AMD FX CPUs and others Intel CPUs.

Thanks very much for reply.

Tested with more games in FX-6300
Ridge Racer 7 running 100 % speed using CPU 50 %.
Sonic Unleashed when creating shaders and SPU run 7 FPS and when not creating shaders or SPU run 15 FPS.
GT6 run less of 10 FPS because is all time creating SPU cache. I had only tested GT6 to see the performance being an game that use extremely the Cell not see much to do with AMD FX.

Trying to run God of War Ascension, but crash with message rsx semaphore. the demo not is loading in current version ? what setting to do more chances to start it ?

Others games are displayed several times failed to sudo lock memory, but not the loading process continue without crash. If is related with not enough RAM is strange because the system has more of 1 GB RAM free.

This post was last modified: 12-21-2020, 03:25 AM by Augusto.
Augusto

12-22-2020, 04:56 PM -
GOW Ascension 5 FPS. CPU blit drop and write color buffers extremely drop FPS.
Resident Evil 5 between 20 to 30 FPS.
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue demo is between 20 to 30 FPS.
Resident Evil 5 is between of 20 FPS and in some times is 30 FPS.
Soul Calibur 4 is more of 30 FPS.
This post was last modified: 12-31-2020, 12:48 PM by Augusto.
BruceLeeFan88

20 posts 3 threads Joined: Nov 2017
01-05-2021, 05:36 PM -
I'm just going to cut to the chase here. Your GPU is quite old by GPU standards and barely supports Direct X 12. It came out in 2012 and only supports Vulkan 1.1. 2GB of vram is not enough for RPCS3. Upgrade your GPU. 4GB of system ram also isn't enough. Upgrade to at least 16GB. Your CPU is also from 2012 and probably doesn't support newer instruction sets that RPCS3 possibly uses to run optimally. I have an i7 6700HQ, 16GB of ram and a 6GB GTX 1060 and I can run Asura's Wrath at 4K@60fps most of the time. Get a similar setup with a faster CPU and you'd be flying.
This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 05:43 PM by BruceLeeFan88.
Augusto

01-05-2021, 07:27 PM -
My post not is to play all games in "old CPUs", but say about what is being the performance using current versions thus perhaps help coders to understand any detail not being possible if using current CPUs.