Does RPCS3 perform better with more cores or faster cores?
Started by Jacksonyoung

1 posts in this topic
Jacksonyoung

2 posts 2 threads Joined: Nov 2020
11-30-2020, 08:21 PM -
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Gaming 4
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM: 2 x 8GB 3200MHz
OS: Windows 10 Home (Don't have the exact version in front of me, but I manually check for Windows updates on a weekly basis.)

Hello,

So I have been using RPCS3 for a few months now to play NCAA Football 2014. I have toggled Multithreaded RSX on, as I have noticed that it has lead to an overall smoother performance with a bigger hit on CPU utilization. I am averaging about 85% CPU utilization. I noticed cores 1-6 are at around 60% utilization and cores 7-12 at 100% utilization at all times. The game does not play at a stable 60 FPS at all times (I know some cutscenes and menus will drop to a designed 30 FPS, I am referring to on-field gameplay) and am wondering if a CPU upgrade would net an improvement to this. During play on the field, the game seems to bounce between the low 40s and mid 50s for FPS with noticeable stutters and hitches. To this end, I am wondering if either of the below options would be a better choice.

Upgrade Option #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. We are doubling the core/thread count from 6 cores/12 threads to 12 cores/24 threads. However, the IPC stays the same, so single core performance would not see a big rise.
Upgrade Option #2: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. We are retaining the same core/thread count, but the IPC is much higher on the Zen 3 chips.

Obviously, you could knock two birds out with one stone and just get an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or better. That may not be an option for me due to availability and price, so I may have to choose between these two upgrade options.
sportster

87 posts 34 threads Joined: Jun 2020
12-02-2020, 12:22 AM -
Get upgrade option 1 or the best you can afford.
M.O.H / W.H.O are satellite terrorists & war criminals.  Exclamation
Poppy & Fruits Life.  Heart