Physical SPU?
Started by OnlineSoup2142

4 posts in this topic
OnlineSoup2142

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Oct 2020
10-12-2020, 03:39 PM -
I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been talked about, but I couldn't seem to find anything about this.
From what I've gathered about the progress of this emulator, the bottleneck right now is that it's really hard to recreate the full power and functionality of the SPU in software emulation. My question is, has it been considered, or would it even be possible, to create hardware that could actually be the SPU? Like, could someone create something like a PCIe expansion card that acts as the SPU, and then offloads all of the actual work currently done in software to this hardware? I'm sure this would introduce plenty of new problems, one being people who don't have any spare expansion spots on their motherboards, but I thought this might be an interesting idea.
Again, if this has been talked about before, or I have no idea what I'm talking about please let me know, haha. I'm still pretty new to the whole emulation scene.
sportster

87 posts 34 threads Joined: Jun 2020
11-05-2020, 11:33 PM -
(10-12-2020, 03:39 PM)OnlineSoup2142 Wrote: I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been talked about, but I couldn't seem to find anything about this.
From what I've gathered about the progress of this emulator, the bottleneck right now is that it's really hard to recreate the full power and functionality of the SPU in software emulation. My question is, has it been considered, or would it even be possible, to create hardware that could actually be the SPU? Like, could someone create something like a PCIe expansion card that acts as the SPU, and then offloads all of the actual work currently done in software to this hardware? I'm sure this would introduce plenty of new problems, one being people who don't have any spare expansion spots on their motherboards, but I thought this might be an interesting idea.
Again, if this has been talked about before, or I have no idea what I'm talking about please let me know, haha. I'm still pretty new to the whole emulation scene.

I don't quite understand what you talking about, are you talking about soundcard ?
M.O.H / W.H.O are satellite terrorists & war criminals.  Exclamation
Poppy & Fruits Life.  Heart
ps0ne

304 posts 59 threads Joined: Oct 2017
11-23-2020, 12:39 PM -
Not possible for many reasons. Unusuful. Worse performance due to transferring data CPU<>PCIE<>Expansion.
sportster

87 posts 34 threads Joined: Jun 2020
12-03-2020, 08:09 AM -
So the performance of  rcps3 is slower with a soundcard instead of sound chip ? Why is it not the case with built in graphics chip  ?
M.O.H / W.H.O are satellite terrorists & war criminals.  Exclamation
Poppy & Fruits Life.  Heart
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
12-04-2020, 01:43 PM -
This has nothing to do with a sound card.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux