Need some help regarding enabling TSX
Started by Gamester

6 posts in this topic
Gamester

10 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2018
Bug  08-12-2020, 09:10 PM -
Hey folks,

So I recently built up a new intel based gaming computer and a big reason for doing so was getting better performance in RPCS3, which it did help a lot when compared with my old AMD system, but I still don't have TSX enabled in RPCS3 and I don't understand why.

I used the i9 10900K CPU, which is awesome because I can run 20 threads at 5.3Ghz and it is quite speedy.

Prior to choosing this processor I looked up the specs on intel's site and made sure that it supports the TSX instruction set and it says it does.

However, for some reason, in RPCS3 settings, it still says the "TSX not supported".

Prior to making this post, I have done lots of searching on these forum as well as google and have not found anything that works.  I have not found any specific settings in my bios for TSX or anything like that and using the CMD command line that supposedly enables it does not work either.

The reason I'm trying so hard to find out how to enable this is that I have read that having TSX on significantly boosts performance as well as fixes the crashing issues that my two favorite PS3 games GT5 and GT6 experence when using LLVM PPU setting, which I really would like to have working. 

So, I now turn to you friendly folks to see if any of you know how to truly enable the TSX setting in RPCS3.

Any help I could get with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Gamester
tigg

12 posts 2 threads Joined: Aug 2020
08-12-2020, 09:48 PM -
There was a guide on Reddit a couple years ago that explained how to enable the TSX in RPSC3 for those that had a compatible CPU. It supposedly gave a up to a 40% increase in FPS (depending on your set up and GPU of course) most people commented on how they went through the vigorous routine of downgrading their bios and/or os just to get the TSX capabilities recongized, that the upgrades were far from noticeable. Then later the whole process ha pretty much made worthless with Elad's changes that gave the changes that TSX would have given to the RPCS. Now modding the bios for TSX provides little boost at all.

Reason you aren't seeing your TSX compatibility automatically may be because of microcode, inside to turn off TSX code. While this leaves Intel the right to advertise the CPU as TSX supportive, it off when you get it and have to mess with the mircocode to enable, which puts at risk to brock you cpu or Motherboard. ><
Now this was a year maybe 2 years ago, hopefully the process has changed nd if it has perhaps someone can speak up, but I can give you a bit of warning from the past lol
Gamester

08-12-2020, 10:35 PM -
Wow, that sure sounds difficult and risky!  I definitely don't want to do anything to kill my new hardware, so I guess I will end my pursuit of this unless something changes or we get new info from the creators of RPCS3.

Good thing is anyways I can still play GT5 and GT6 with the PPU Interpreter option instead without crashes, but it only gets up to about a max of around 30FPS though; still better than nothing though I suppose.

Thanks for the info friend. Smile
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-13-2020, 11:23 AM -
Intel 10th gen does not have TSX support at all. The Intel website is also known to be wrong regarding TSX support for other CPUs.
TSX is more relevant for stability nowadays, but your CPU doesn't have it so you can't enable it, regardless of Motherboard BIOS or CPU Microcode.
This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 11:23 AM by Ani.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
Gamester

08-14-2020, 02:26 AM -
(08-13-2020, 11:23 AM)Ani Wrote: Intel 10th gen does not have TSX support at all. The Intel website is also known to be wrong regarding TSX support for other CPUs.
TSX is more relevant for stability nowadays, but your CPU doesn't have it so you can't enable it, regardless of Motherboard BIOS or CPU Microcode.

Interesting info there, just out of curiosity, and because I see you are an admin here and know much more than I on the subject; have you first hand tested machines that do have CPUs with TSX working vs more modern faster processors that don't have TSX working to see any notable performance differences between the two?

Thanks
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-16-2020, 04:49 PM -
We did test configurations with TSX On vs TSX Off
It helps with performance more or less depending on the game, and the impact is bigger on weaker CPUs
See for example: https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/pull/8175...-627875443

Back when TSX was firstly added, performance differences were more notable, but the difference has shrunk today, although it's still noticeable. TSX is more useful for stability right now, having it On causes less crashing on more SPU unstable games.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
Gamester

Thumbs Up  08-17-2020, 03:10 AM -
Gotcha, thanks for that info Ani Smile