Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 60fps framerate issues
Started by Szynek

0 posts in this topic
Szynek

6 posts 3 threads Joined: May 2020
05-20-2020, 05:10 PM -
Hello there,

I installed Tony Hawk's Project 8 couple days ago. Game is pretty much playable, but I have troubles reaching stable 60 FPS. Note, that I'm not sure if this is a problem, or expected behavior at this stage of emulator's development (and also considering my hardware); however, I noticed that somebody gets much better performance on older rpcs3 version + comparable hardware (not AMD CPU though) --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaUOZGL5_E

In general, the best I can do is 40-60 FPS, with very frequent jumps, which is not very comfortable, in a fast game that requires much precision. I should point out, that on the same hardware Persona 5 runs much better (almost constant 60 FPS with minor graphical glitches, though I played only first 10 minutes of it), also Skate runs much better in quite stable 60FPS (with some drops from time to time).

My spec:
  •     SPU: Seasonic Focus Plus 750W 80 Plus Gold
  •     MB: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
  •     CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  •     RAM: HyperX 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB)
  •     GPU: MSI GTX 1080

My short gameplay video (sorry for crappy quality, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to recording):
--> https://www.mediafire.com/file/h3tfmmgtn...y.mp4/file

My rpcs3 settings:
--> https://imgur.com/a/zovpBSk

My RPSC3.log: attached below.

I tried to change some rpcs3 settings, and my observations are:
  •     Changing Vulkan --> OpenGL doesn't improve performance, also cut-scenes don't work + there are a lot of graphical artifacts during gameplay, making it completely unplayable to me.
  •     Changing PPU Decoder to anything other than LLVM results in huge performance lost (even Activision logo renders under 20FPS...).
  •     When it comes to SPU Decoder: ASMJIT and LLVM seems to be comparable (ASMJIT a bit faster, I think); fast interpreter is indeed the fastest, and I could actually consider playing the game with that kind of FPS, if it weren't for constant flashes / glitches all over the place, which make it not worth it; precise interpreter is below 20FPS in Activision log, so I didn't bother any further...
  •     Changing SPU block size to mega, slightly increased the performance, I think.
  •     GPU options, like Anisotropic filter, AA, resolution scaling seem to have little to no effect on performance.
  •     RPCS3 crashed couple of times, especially when I was trying to run game multiple times without closing the emulator first (usually it crashed right after starting the game, or during modules loading); increasing Windows SWAP size helped a little.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. I tried to find some guides online, but most of them are about emulator in general, or Persona 5; it's hard to find anything specific about THP8, especially regarding AMD CPUs.