Metal Gear Solid 2 HD Edition [NPUB30609]
Started by Cypher

0 posts in this topic
Cypher

3 posts 2 threads Joined: Oct 2019
05-01-2020, 04:56 AM -
RPCS3 v0.0.9-10298-19acf260 Alpha | HEAD | Firmware version: 4.86
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor | 12 Threads | 15.95 GiB RAM | TSC: 3.593GHz | AVX+ | FMA3

The game is playable from start to finish. Universal issues lie in shadows caused by multiple sources of light will only render one shadow as well as one square around the object.

IR beams from the objects in the game linked to the plastic explosives don't render properly when wearing the thermal goggles. They'll show up as faint black/red lines rather than the solid red lines they're supposed to. Helicopter blades don't render movement properly, often appearing as fixed objects pretending to spin. Game also does not run on OpenGL. The game will hang on the initial loading screen if you don't use Vulkan.

Turning on network settings will cause the game to hang when entering the save menu whether you're trying to save or load your save. Only way out is a force close of the emulator.

Tanker Chapter specific issues:

One of the helicopters in an opening cutscene flies backward.

There's slowdown in the area during the commandant's speech; game goes from 60 down to 40.

Plant Chapter specific issues:

Water does not properly render; it shows up looking like liquid mercury until you dive in.

Roughly midway through the game, there's an underwater swimming segment split up into different parts. The first part works just fine, just as long as you only pick up the missile launcher as the plot dictates. A bit further into this section lies some body armor and a sniper rifle. If you pick up these items with the missile launcher during its needed story portion, the game will hang upon scene transition. There's no way out of this without force closing the emulator.

If you get the missile launcher solo, proceed through the story, and get to the second underwater part, collecting the body armor and the sniper rifle will lead to the crash. If you get through the second underwater part without grabbing these items, there will be no crash. Get past the second underwater part and proceed to the third and collect these items, the game will crash. The permutation doesn't matter: you can grab the sniper rifle, body armor, or both, and the game will crash. You can grab the sniper rifle on your final pass through the underwater segment back to dry land.

There's a cutscene immediately after the area you first find the sniper rifle (assuming you don't veer too far after you grab the missile launcher), and there's another cutscene in the area immediately after grabbing the body armor.  I'm assuming the cutscene flags are what's causing the crashes. I went through and grabbed the sniper rifle on the way back and beat the game with no issues, but I skipped over the body armor on the return trip, so I didn't test to see if it will cause a crash that prevents completion.

Right after the swimming sections, the original room is filled with bugs, which tank the frame rate down into the teens. There's one final area toward the back end of the game with the same bugs, which also tanks the framerate down into the teens. In scenes where these bugs are few, framerate is largely fine. Credits work, post-credit scene works, and you can save to get to your New Game+.

I had one crash initiating a Snake Tales mission, but I don't know if that was because it's something that happens or if it's because I accidentally changed a setting I wasn't supposed to in the emulator, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

The game could be considered playable since the only real unplayable framerates come into play when you have a bunch of bugs on screen and that only happens twice in the game (and is over and done with pretty quick since you just need to walk down a hallway and enter an elevator for both), but the sniper rifle that causes the crash is important if you're going for a no kill run, and since you have to dance around to avoid the game locking up, I thought it best to submit as in-game.    
.gz   RPCS3.log.gz (Size: 92.53 KB / Downloads: 1)        
.7z   saves.7z (Size: 178.06 KB / Downloads: 2)
This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 11:29 PM by Ani.