Need Help With Dumping Disc Games from Jailbroken PS3
Started by VadimVen

4 posts in this topic
VadimVen

3 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2019
08-28-2019, 08:24 AM -
Boring intro stuff:
Hey, guys! I really didn't want to have to make a forum account to get help with this, but I'm at my wits end, and all the available resources I've looked up haven't helped me. I'm new to PS3 jailbreaking, RPCS3, and these forums, so hopefully I do everything correctly and I'll do my best to explain the problem and everything I've tried to solve it.

My specs (to confirm compatibility):
Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
AMD Radeon RX 470
8 GB DDR3-1866 RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

The TL;DR of the problem:
While trying to run a backup of NieR (BLUS30481), which I own a physical copy of (and can provide proof as necessary), I get the following error:
Quote:E LDR: Invalid or unsupported file format: (game path)/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
S LDR: Boot successful.
And I'd like to know how to properly dump games in order to avoid this issue.

Everything I've done up to this point:

After jailbreaking my PS3, I first used multiMAN to create ISOs of the following games: Catherine, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, and NieR, and then transferred these ISOs to my PC using FTP and extracted them into folders labeled with their region ids (as described in the Quickstart guide) under the path:
Quote:../(rpcs3 folder)/dev_hdd0/disc/
e.g. ../(rpcs3 folder)/dev_hdd0/disc/BLUS30481/(extracted contents of NieR ISO)
However, I received the exact error listed earlier when trying to run Catherine (BLUS30428) and NieR (which are both supposed to be playable). I also attempted to first mount the ISOs and then transfer their contents to the path listed above, but that did not help.

I looked for this error on this forum and other sites and found that most people who ran into this issue were accused of piracy, so I decided to attempt a different method of dumping the games first before turning to the forums for help. The method I chose was to use FTP to directly transfer the contents of /dev_bdvd/ from my PS3 while the game disc was inserted instead of first creating ISOs (this appears to be the method recommended in the Quickstart guide, and was also recommended by a few other guides I looked up while troubleshooting the issue). Also, instead of manually placing the files into the correctly named region folders, I used RPCS3's "Add Games" functionality to add the games directly - in order to avoid any potential issues in my naming (this functionality was shown in a "RPCS3 setup" video I found). Using this method of game dumping, Catherine started with no issues. However, NieR is still having the exact same problem.

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-29-2019, 10:02 AM -
> Invalid or unsupported file format: (game path)/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
Means the game is still encrypted.

Don't pack the game as ISOs, put the disc in and transfer dev_bdvd contents file by file
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
VadimVen

08-29-2019, 04:26 PM -
(08-29-2019, 10:02 AM)Ani Wrote: > Invalid or unsupported file format: (game path)/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
Means the game is still encrypted.

Don't pack the game as ISOs, put the disc in and transfer dev_bdvd contents file by file
I've done that as well. It worked with Catherine, but NieR's still giving me problems for whatever reason. I suppose I could try it again. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-29-2019, 07:58 PM -
Alternatively try dumping from disc to PS3 with multiman then from dev_hdd0 to PC via FTP
Already had the issue where a game didn't decrypt when dumping directly from dev_bdvd
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
VadimVen

08-30-2019, 09:43 PM -
(08-29-2019, 07:58 PM)Ani Wrote: Alternatively try dumping from disc to PS3 with multiman then from dev_hdd0 to PC via FTP
Already had the issue where a game didn't decrypt when dumping directly from dev_bdvd

No dice, unfortunately Sad 
Tried:
1.) copying /dev_bdvd/ over FTP again
2.) copying all of /dev_bdvd/ locally to the PS3, then using FTP to transfer those files
3.) copying only EBOOT.BIN locally to the PS3, then using FTP to transfer that
(Before doing any of the above, I made sure that I'd turned on "Enable Direct Disk Access")

I'm beginning to think it may be an issue with the specific CFW or version of multiman that I have installed, which wouldn't be an issue for these forums anymore (I think?). Thanks for all the suggestions, though! I'll post an update here if I figure something out.