Ni No Kuni (NPUB30932) freezing
Started by stokenash

2 posts in this topic
stokenash

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Aug 2019
08-13-2019, 09:39 PM -
Hi all! I'm hoping somebody can help me out please  Big Grin

I've been trying to play Ni No Kuni for the past couple of days but I'm experiencing a few issues. When using Vulkan I'm getting a relatively stable 30fps in areas such as Motorville or Deep Dark Wood, but once I enter a larger area such as Ding Dong Del or have more than 1 NPC on screen the FPS drops dramatically (usually somewhere between 11-19fps). When this happens, I look at my CPU usage and it's usually pretty low (say 30%), which doesn't make much sense to me! It's like the emulator isn't using all of my CPU. I've checked and there is no power limit or thermal throttling happening at the time.

Anyway, I tried swapping over to OpenGL and I'm seeing much better results (fps-wise anyway!). Walking through Ding Dong Del I see an fps of 24+ which to me is totally playable. There is only one issue though...when I play with OpenGL, the emulator freezes up anywhere between 10 seconds and a couple of minutes of playing. The audio continues to play, but the video output completely stops.

I'd either like to fix the fps issue whilst using Vulkan or the freezing issue using OpenGL. Any help would be much appreciated!

Specs:

Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (3.80 GHz Turbo)
16GB RAM
GTX 1070 8GB - Nvidia Driver 430.86

Video of OpenGL freezing issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv4RNev_xfM (freeze happens around 03:05)

I've attached my logs and screenshots of current settings, please let me know if you need anything else!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 643.95 KB / Downloads: 1)
Kosmo零

9 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2017
08-15-2019, 03:20 PM -
Your question is third on this page about low FPS despite low CPU and GPU utilization.
klepp0906

11 posts 3 threads Joined: Sep 2018
08-22-2019, 09:35 PM -
same exact issue. Vulkan doesnt freeze for me, but i cant use it to stream cause steam insists on cucking me. I prefer openGL 99% of the time anyhow.

however in this case, opengl freezes. Full screen, not full screen. Doesnt matter. sometimes it happens instantaneously, other times it takes a minute or two.

Worth nothing it doesnt happen in the menu, or during cutscenes. (also doesnt seem to happen in the overworld)

just when moving around and oliver is drawn closer up, towns etc.