RPCS3 Performance (FPS) decreases over time
Started by alb3530

0 posts in this topic
alb3530

7 posts 2 threads Joined: Nov 2018
11-21-2018, 03:01 AM -
I'm creating this thread because after some search in the forums, I've not found this issue described.

Basically, emulation starts with good performance, but it gets worse as time passes.

In this test, the game starts at 150 FPS, and after about 50 minutes of gameplay, it's down to ~50 FPS. Just for simplicity, I recorded this video with the game in pause menu, but it happens when playing normally.

It's 100% reproducible in my machine.

Framerate limiter is off for this test, but playing with it on (AUTO) results in the same effect, though it's only noticeable when emulator begins to run below 60 FPS (it's a 60 FPS game)

The interesting is: if emulation is stopped, and the game is restarted - without closing RPCS3 - the framerate remains in the state where it was. It only goes back to "normal" if RPCS3 is closed, and opened again.

rpcs3-v0.0.5-7505-3c7f02d9_win64

Settings:

PPU: LLVM Recompiler
SPU: ASMJIT
Renderer: OpenGL (Vulkan doesn't have this behaviour, but it stutters randomly throughout gameplay)

All other settings are in their defaults.

Windows 10 Pro 1809 build 17763.134
i7 7700k (CPU remains with usage below 50%)

I've also tested with both PPU and SPU fast interpreters, and the same problem happened.
Also, I've tested with MSI AfterBurner closed, to make sure it wouldn't interfere in results.

I've also tested with an older build: rpcs3-v0.0.5-7336-d24f9194_win64

Same results.

I've thought it might be caused by the log file creation, since RPCS3 only saves to the log file when emulator is closed (as opposed to when emulation stops), so I've created a folder with log name (to avoid log file creation), but no success.

It happened to the two games I've tested.

SF2THD (video below) and Sonic Unleashed (I just waited in the title screen for a long time).

Vídeo is with 2000x speed.

Real duration was 50 minutes.