Suggested changes to the Quickstart Guide
Started by ThreeSon

6 posts in this topic
ThreeSon
Unregistered

07-31-2017, 10:02 AM -
I tried RPCS3 for the first time today. The Quickstart Guide was very helpful, although I ran into a couple of issues that could be cleared up with some alterations in the section titled Dumping games and software with a Blu-ray drive. I've written in the suggested changes below.

(Thanks to @Pea and @Numan in the RPCS3 Discord channel for helping me out)

-----
Dumping games and software with a Blu-ray drive

You will need two different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:

• PS3 ISO Patcher - By BlackDaemon

• 3k3y ISO Tools - By the 3k3y team

1. Insert a PlayStation 3 Blu-ray disc game of your choice.

2. Dump the .iso image using a program like Alcohol 120%.

3. Use jonnysp.bplaced.net to locate the appropriate .ird file that matches your game ID. If there isn't any .ird file that matches your game ID this unfortunately means you can't dump your disc using this method.

4. Be sure to check game ID in case of different game editions. You need to use the file for the exact game ID, otherwise it won't work (for example: .ird file for Demon's Souls US disc doesn't work with Demon's Souls EU disc).

5. Open PS3 ISO Patcher and select your dumped .iso file and its appropriate .ird file.

6. Press Patch to apply the patch to the .iso file.

7. Open 3k3y ISO Tools and decrypt the .iso file.
I suggest changing this step to read:
7. Open 3k3y ISO Tools. Click the ISO Crypto option and select the dumped .iso file to decrypt it. Make sure the .iso file extension is in lower-case letters (.iso not .ISO), or the decryption will not work.

8. Your game should now be properly decrypted.

9. You must now extract your decrypted .iso file with an appropriate .iso extraction tool.
I suggest changing this step to read:
9. While in 3k3y ISO Tools, in the Tools drop-down menu select ISO -> Extract ISO, and select the decrypted iso file to extract the game files (the decrypted iso file will have a .dec.iso file extension).

10. You are now able to use your successfully dumped disc-based game with RPCS3.
-----

I think these changes would make the guide more helpful to other new users.
MitchMitchMitch
Unregistered

07-31-2017, 02:14 PM -
(07-31-2017, 10:02 AM)ThreeSon Wrote: I tried RPCS3 for the first time today. The Quickstart Guide was very helpful, although I ran into a couple of issues that could be cleared up with some alterations in the section titled Dumping games and software with a Blu-ray drive. I've written in the suggested changes below.

(Thanks to @Pea and @Numan in the RPCS3 Discord channel for helping me out)

-----
Dumping games and software with a Blu-ray drive

I agree with this idea there are a few areas where the directions get a little fuzzy and confusing.

(07-31-2017, 10:02 AM)ThreeSon Wrote: You will need two different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:

2. Dump the .iso image using a program like Alcohol 120%.

This needs to be changed to at least three instead of two unless one of above mentioned programs can dump the .iso image (I doubt that is the case)

Recommended change
-------------------------------------------------------
You will need three different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:

• an .iso dumping program like Alcohol 120%
---------------------------------------------------------
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
07-31-2017, 02:14 PM -
Thanks, I edited the page
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
MitchMitchMitch
Unregistered

07-31-2017, 02:20 PM -
Just checked, it looks good, just one minor change
Quote:You will need two different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:
this should say
Quote:You will need three different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:
ThreeSon
Unregistered

07-31-2017, 08:12 PM -
(07-31-2017, 02:20 PM)MitchMitchMitch Wrote: Just checked, it looks good, just one minor change
Quote:You will need two different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:
this should say
Quote:You will need three different tools for dumping PlayStation 3 game discs from a computer using a Blu-ray drive:

I forgot about this part. I was also going to suggest changing it so that Alcohol 120% is not the suggested program for dumping PS3 discs.

It's a judgement call, but I think ImgBurn would be a better option to recommend to people, for a few reasons:

1) It's freeware. Alcohol 120% is trialware, and will only work for a limited time before you need to pay for it.
2) No bundled adware. Alcohol installs a nasty toolbar in your browser as part of the installation process.
3) It's much simpler to use. With ImgBurn it's only a matter of install, click a button, and you're done. But Alcohol requires a restart, after which it installs an extra virtual drive or two on your PC (which is unnecessary for the purposes of RPCS3), and the software itself is significantly more complicated to use.
MitchMitchMitch
Unregistered

08-01-2017, 04:05 PM -
(07-31-2017, 08:12 PM)ThreeSon Wrote: 1) It's freeware. Alcohol 120% is trialware, and will only work for a limited time before you need to pay for it.
2) No bundled adware. Alcohol installs a nasty toolbar in your browser as part of the installation process.
3) It's much simpler to use. With ImgBurn it's only a matter of install, click a button, and you're done. But Alcohol requires a restart, after which it installs an extra virtual drive or two on your PC (which is unnecessary for the purposes of RPCS3), and the software itself is significantly more complicated to use.
Good points!
Even if the adware can be avoided somewhat easily, it is just simply better to not have the need to avoid it. It isn't too hard to get rid of the virtural drives, but yeah, same reason as stated earlier applies here. Generally, the simpler the steps are, the better.
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-01-2017, 06:40 PM -
Thanks, I edited the page again
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux