Armored Core: For Answer [BLUS30187]
Started by KarotConCarne

39 posts in this topic
dofits

7 posts 0 threads Joined: Dec 2020
12-14-2020, 06:01 AM -
So I'm fresh from trying out AC4, which has also been reported to work from start to finish, but I'm getting the same issue I had with AC4, this is what pops up before I even get into the game, after the loading screen from New Game, in the log:

F {PPU[0x100002c] Thread (Ac4SortieScene) [0x000f7704]} VM: Access violation writing location 0x27bbbebb (unmapped memory) [type=u32]

This error happens to me too on AC4, but it at least happens later on (Currently stuck on Chapter 4 because one mission gets this error after the loading screen as well. I could run AC4 at 60FPS and I enabled Write Color Buffer and Read Color Buffer.

Really scratching my head over this.

My specs are i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070.

Tested on RPCS3 Version: 0.0.13-11347-3a0b3a85 Alpha (version that got someone through the whole game on the other thread)
and the current RPCS3 Version: 0.0.13-11389-e5603fec Alpha

Okay, I've actually found the problem, so I disabled Read/Write Color Buffer and now both AC:fA and AC4 work fine. Although that's a bit odd to me that /that/ was the issue, since it said previously in the thread that enabling both Read and Write would fix it.
This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 07:35 AM by dofits.

Attached Files
.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 1.15 MB / Downloads: 14)
Ulthair

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Dec 2020
12-15-2020, 03:34 PM -
Can confirm that the game still crashes on loading enemy NEXT missions with Read/Write color buffers enabled. It does fix the texture issues on your NEXT, though any time you change weapons you'll have texture issues on the next mission. You can see that in this video: https://youtu.be/kLtCJn4ciyg?t=60 This is then fixed upon loading into the next mission, giving you proper textures again.

Most Ordered Matches will crash while trying to load up (I did a few successfully, but the 28th began crashing on me), and I haven't gotten past White Glint yet but the "rogue NEXT" mission did load with Read/Write Color Buffers enabled. White Glint crashes with the same error code as the Ordered Matches, a very similar code to the one dofits has:

F {PPU[0x1000041] Thread (Ac4SortieScene) [0x00ccf82c]} VM: Access violation writing location 0x0 (unmapped memory) [type=u32]

I've attached a log file from the White Glint crash with Read/Write Color Buffers enabled. Hopefully this helps get things on track! I've been missing this game for years...

Attached Files
.gz   RPCS3.log.gz (Size: 682 bytes / Downloads: 9)
Ani
Administrator

4,275 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
12-18-2020, 06:01 PM -
You attached an empty log file
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
Sindex

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2021
01-14-2021, 05:51 PM -
Having a similar issue as dofits.

Crashing with F {PPU[0x1003017] Thread (VsSortieScene) [0x00ccf82c]} VM: Access violation writing location 0x0 (unmapped memory) [type=u32]

The first match against the NEXT was fine, but the second one froze the game.

I've attached the log file, game ID is BLUS30187, version 1., the log is 20mb so I zipped it since it doesn't fit here otherwise (I can re-upload it some other way if someone can suggest one).
I've enabled those two GPU options mentioned above.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful!

Attached Files
.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 1.02 MB / Downloads: 9)
Humboldt

1 posts 0 threads Joined: May 2021
05-07-2021, 01:29 AM -
I'm having the same problem that a few of the other people here are having. having Write Color Buffers and Read Color Buffers on causes the game to crash, but it only does so when the game is loading two or more NEXTs. The game will load perfectly fine with Write/Read Color Buffers enabled if there are no enemy NEXTs in the mission, and your NEXT colors will be accurate, with The only exception being the tutorial which has no other NEXTs, but will always crash with Write Color Buffers. however the second I try loading any mission with an allied or enemy NEXT in the mission it will cause the game to crash with a fatal error that reads:

·F 0:00:51.260796 {PPU[0x1000039] Thread (VsSortieScene) [0x00ccf82c]} VM: Access violation writing location 0x0 (unmapped memory) [type=u32]

I've spent several hours trying different things to get around this to no avail. Interestingly though, I did manage to get a Collared match to load with textures against Fragile, but if I changed my equipment and reloaded, the game crashed again. I tried running the game with it Installed to HDD and without, but resulted in no change. I don't understand the nature of the problem, as your NEXT model loads properly with textures in the ACSIS menu without crashing even with Write Color Buffers enabled. The version of the game I'm running is my own copy that I dumped on my PS3 and then copied over using a USB. It's possible I messed up the dump, but seeing others with the same problem I doubt it. I have noticed the crash in the log feed it shows while the game is running always occurs after the line:

E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_hdd1/cap/ac/parts/back/0130.cap” [1]

Regardless of what mission it's crashing on, it always crashes after a line that reads exactly that. I can't figure this out, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear it.
as a final note, changing your paint job doesn't affect crashes at all.
Attached are three log files, the first is a generic crash that occurs any time a NEXT shows up (I got the log from a Crash loading Killdozer's fight)
the second is the time I successfully loaded a fight with Fragile with Write Color Buffers Enabled, and the third is the subsequent crash I got after reloading the fight after changing equipment.

EDIT: I think I've discovered something about the nature of the crash. I pointed out that it always crashes after a line that reads "ac/parts/back/0130.cap". I assumed this meant the game was having trouble with textures on back weapons for ACs, and so I tested loading killdozer's fight, which has always crashed under any circumstance previously, without any back weapons equipped and it loaded! textures and all. I loaded up my other save that is on Fragile's fight, and I was able to load that one with textures multiple times using multiple different back weapons that weren't the starter back weapons. I think there is something wrong with the starter back weapons that causes the game to crash when trying to load them around other NEXTs. I will point out that eventually I did crash while loading Fragile's fight with one of the non-starter back weapons, so I believe it's more than just the starter weapons, and that random weapons are seemingly broken. but I'm almost certain at this point that it's an issue with textures on back weapons. Why this is all happening I'm not sure, but I think I've found the source of the problem.
EDIT 2: Game crashes with stabilizers equipped too.
This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 11:20 PM by Humboldt.

Attached Files
.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 2.2 MB / Downloads: 9)
Sneak

2 posts 1 threads Joined: May 2022
05-22-2022, 07:54 PM -
RPCS3 0.0.22-13635-7c8fbc35 Alpha | master
[BLUS30187]
Intel® Core™ i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz | 6 Threads | 31.93 GiB RAM | TSC: 3.600GHz | AVX+ | FMA3 | TSX-FA disabled by default
GTX 1060 6GB 511.23
Windows 10 64-bit Build: 19043
Forced V-sync thru Nvidia control panel

Playable?

Aside from the NEXT texture failure, the game runs very well at a smooth 60 fps (the only notable fps drop was during the VOB section of "Destroy Megalis" when it dipped to around 54~ briefly). All missions are completable, all 3 endings are achievable and all order missions are beatable. Tested a huge variety of parts and combat styles, and no issues were found with anything.

The only other remarkable problem I ran into was the game hanging randomly during the chapter transition cutscenes (not the pre-mission briefings or post-mission scenes rendered in-game). It only happened a couple of times where the video and controller input would freeze but the audio would continue normally and the only fix was closing the emulation. I didn't manage to grab a log of it happening, but I'm trying to replicate it and will post one if I get it to happen again. Seemed most common on the chapter 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 cutscenes. Easily and reliably circumvented by just skipping the cutscene.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 4.3 MB / Downloads: 11)
tentacleadvisor

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Jun 2022
06-11-2022, 05:21 AM -
As of the current RPCS3 build, the issue where the game crashes upon trying to load more than 1 NEXT persists.
The Read Color Buffers and Write Color Buffers settings are still needed to be on in order for the mechs to have correct colors, otherwise they're either black or purple, obviously missing either the color data or the texture data.
I've been having mixed results so far. Trying Collared matches, the Killdozer match went fine, then I restarted and the game crashed with "F {PPU[0x102a017] Thread (VsSortieScene) [0x00ccf82c]} VM: Access violation writing location 0x0 (unmapped memory)".
I restarted the game and completed the fight just fine. Several completed Collared matches later, my game crashed at match 26 with the same error message, log attached.
I think that with the game's current crash behavior, it's possible to complete it from start to finish, but the crashes described above have a drastic negative impact on gameplay.
Waiting for updates.

Attached Files
.gz   RPCS3.log.gz (Size: 2.72 MB / Downloads: 6)
tentacleadvisor

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Jun 2022
11-07-2022, 04:45 AM -
On the version 0.0.25-14360, the game is much more stable.
The "Write color buffers" and "Read color buffers" settings are still needed for the textures to be properly loaded on all ACs. The Collared matches load properly as well.
However, emulating the game on M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14', I am unable to fix the glitching sky shaders, and very rarely, in some situations, the textures on the separate parts of the ACs go missing for some reason.
I am getting errors like this:
E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_bdvd/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/model/poly/m720/s100_917.rmb” [1]
E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_bdvd/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/model/poly/m720/s100_917.rmb” [2]
E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_hdd1/model/poly/m720/s100_918.rmb” [1]
E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_bdvd/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/model/poly/m720/s100_918.rmb” [1]
E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_bdvd/PS3_GAME/USRDIR/model/poly/m720/s100_918.rmb” [2]
E SYS: 'sys_fs_stat' failed with 0x80010006 : CELL_ENOENT, “/dev_hdd1/model/poly/m720/s100_919.rmb” [1]
With different numbers at the end of the names of the .rmb's. This might be the reason behind the glitching sky shaders.
PlusEscapee

3 posts 1 threads Joined: Jun 2023
06-15-2023, 09:03 PM -
I have tested (played to completion all S rank missions) this game on two seperate systems.

Ryzen 5 1600 + nVidia 1060

Ryzen 5950x + nVidia 3080ti

On both systems it runs as well as the original hardware in terms of stability, textures load correctly given the proper settings. I have also tested this on an overkill AMD 5950x and 3080ti, as expected it runs great on this high end machine. The game was never that stable on the original hardware; the more missions you play on the opriginal ps3 hardware (I have a copy and played this game roughly 500 hours) the less stable it becomes. I would reset the PS3 at the first sign of audio stutter, which was normal. The game was not very stable on the original hardware. It is even MORE stable and performs at higher resolution with the systems I have tested with this title.

I recommend that Armored Core; For Answer be placed on the "playable" list as it seems on the latest version of RPCS3 it runs very well, and even better than original hardware, on a ryzen 1600 and nVidia 1060. The Ryzen 1600 and nVidia 1060 was considered a low tier system five years ago, and between software improvements (especially the option to hide the PPU modules notification) it is running better than ever. I've been playing For Answer for the last couple years, and it has been running very nicely over the years, but these days it is better than ever.

This game seems to have graduated. If you leave me no choice, I will initiate plan D.
picky33

3 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2021
08-16-2023, 06:46 PM -
I agree with PlusEscapee. The game should be declared playable now. There are the occasional minor graphics glitches, but nothing preventing me from playing several of the missions.