RSXGL Working on RSX vulkan driver for PS3 linux mode
Started by Shadowlink

1 posts in this topic
Shadowlink
Unregistered

07-03-2017, 01:25 AM -
Hi,
So I found the RSXGL page and it seems dead. Last post was in 2014. I got the drive from the page and also the Mesa vulkan driver. I'm working on changing it from a GL based driver to vulkan. The hope is to make full use of the PS3's hardware with the best low level api. I'm new to coding with linux and very much with creating custom drivers. If anyone can offer help or has ideas I would appreciate them! I'm thinking of asking the RPCS3 team once they have their emulator more matured and have some free time.
gzorin
Unregistered

07-04-2017, 01:25 AM -
Sounds like a worthwhile project. The lower level interface to the RSX - "gcm" functions in the official SDK, and "libreality" in psl1ght - actually map to Vulkan better than an implementation based on OpenGL like rsxgl or mesa. One objective of Vulkan is to make available the lower level access to GPU that development on consoles like the PS3 has enjoyed for years.

But rsxgl should provide good info about command buffer sequences required for common graphics tasks, and both it and mesa can provide guidance regarding the shading programs expected by the rsx.

The rsx also lacks obvious support for rasterizer stages like tessellation and geometry, although maybe those could be supported by the spu's, or by creative application of the floating point fragment processor of the rsx (I'd tried to use that to support OpenGL's transform feedback buffers, but never completed it)

(07-03-2017, 01:25 AM)Shadowlink Wrote: Hi,
So I found the RSXGL page and it seems dead. Last post was in 2014. I got the drive from the page and also the Mesa vulkan driver. I'm working on changing it from a GL based driver to vulkan. The hope is to make full use of the PS3's hardware with the best low level api. I'm new to coding with linux and very much with creating custom drivers. If anyone can offer help or has ideas I would appreciate them! I'm thinking of asking the RPCS3 team once they have their emulator more matured and have some free time.