Ar tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel [BLUS30639]
Started by AMMAREN

24 posts in this topic
Asinine

2,060 posts 83 threads Joined: Aug 2017
05-12-2022, 08:38 AM -
Missing log file, and none of the screenshots show FPS counter.
iPhantasia97

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Dec 2022
12-25-2022, 09:30 AM -
When making an image item, it seems the major problem is due to the PPU Decoder being set to LLVM, I can synthesize successfully using the interpreter (static) ppu decoder. Just it takes a longer time in loading screens and some animations. I want to try using the interpreter (dynamic) but it is currently grayed out, do anybody know why?

Thanks!
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
12-30-2022, 06:05 PM -
That option is not implemented, that's why it's grayed out.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
reyvarie

2 posts 0 threads Joined: May 2022
01-07-2023, 05:48 AM -
I don't recall if I actually typed out a reply for this and it didn't get approved or was stuck with my account not being activated back then. In any case I would like to say that the game is very much not in the "Playable" state as defined by the compatibility list. The screenshots shown are all from the very beginning of the game, before any of the major crash issues. I actually did manage to complete the game last year, but that required me to face hundreds of crashes and restarts. I tried using the settings in the image given and faced the same results. Granted, my laptops GPU is pretty bad (Radeon 540X), but in this there was no evidence that any of the major crash points were even reached.

Here are the major issues which must be checked before any recategorisation of the game
  • The emulator has a tendency to crash on screen transitions, especially for dungeons which many small rooms. The first instance of this is the Old Eternus Gallery (prison break scene), and the other major offender is the Archia Think Tank.
  • The emulator also crashes when run for long enough in dungeons with few large rooms. This is most notable in the Clustania Executive District and is also sometimes an issue in the Lymph Vessel
  • Image synthesis results in crashes maybe a quarter to half the time. In the case of the very first synthesis it felt much higher than that and I could only bypass it by switching the interpreter to static. This results in a massively decreased frame rate.
  • The battle music starts sounding corrupted pretty quickly whenever you have Hyumas assigned, especially if it's more than one. This does not affect battles where there is an insert song overriding the main theme. I have heard of a person who did not have issues with this though.
  • Some videos lag. The opening song is a good test point for this.
  • There are also occasionally crashes on World Map transitions. This is not that common so it isn't as big an issue.
This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 11:17 PM by Ani.
reyvarie

2 posts 0 threads Joined: May 2022
06-08-2023, 07:39 AM -
Just moved to a new and better laptop (Legion Slim 7i) and decided to test this again. Video framerate is great now and I no longer have issues with the battle music, so it seems like those two problems were hardware limitations. The framerate drops from the interpreter (static) workaround are also much more manageable with these specs. Screen transition crashes still occur with these specs whether the PPU decoder is on LLVM or static.

EDIT: With PPU decoder on static and SPU decoder on dynamic, the screen transition crashes still exist but *much* less often. I managed to make it out of the prison in 3 attempts, while previously I took over 30. Did more attempts and managed to make it out again after a few crashes. Not sure if this is due to hardware improvements, emulator improvements, or both. Not sure if this is classifiable as "Playable" but it does seem to be reasonable with some perseverance. Worth testing more (I'll get to my replay eventually but not so soon, so feel free to fill in the role).

EDIT 2: The person who was testing this with me was using the same PC as when they were playing before several years back. Back then they had single digit FPS on the static interpreter, so it seems like the FPS improvement (at least 30-60, for me I usually get higher than that with very rare brief drops to 15) on these settings is likely due to improvements on the emulator's side. These settings also cause the in-game videos to lag (eg. OP, cosmosphere intro), which can be avoided by switching back to LLVM and ASMJIT
This post was last modified: 06-08-2023, 08:41 AM by reyvarie.