Decrypting SELF
Started by randomnoob

4 posts in this topic
randomnoob
Unregistered

01-25-2016, 01:10 PM -
Maybe a dumb question but I was wondering this about the RPCS3.

From what I understand from this article

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SELF_File_F...Decryption

Only the elf header is unencrypted and the actual program data is encrypted.

So in order for any emulator to play a PS3 game it first has to be able to decrypt the program data for which as a first step it has to obtain the erk and riv keys required for decryption of the first part of the metadata which PS3 loaders have.

So my question is how would an PS3 emulator deal with this issue? Isn't owning the keys required for decrypting the self illegal?
Joeel
Unregistered

01-26-2016, 01:41 PM -
I have the same probleem.. i need to decrypt that for play..
tambre
Unregistered

01-26-2016, 03:22 PM -
RPCS3 should automatically decrypt .self files.
Also I don't think it's really "illegal" to have a string of certain numbers and characters be included with your program.
randomnoob
Unregistered

01-26-2016, 05:12 PM -
(01-26-2016, 03:22 PM)tambre Wrote: RPCS3 should automatically decrypt .self files.
Also I don't think it's really "illegal" to have a string of certain numbers and characters be included with your program.

That's what I was wondering but unfortunately there exists this concept of illegal numbers.
Afaik if a program is condemned with intend to "circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a [protected] work." it can be illegal to distribute and use such program. Afaik there has been certain cases like this with free (open source) software that circumvents AACS.

So my question is could the fact that modern consoles have very nasty DRM that has to be bypassed in order to emulate the console give companies that profit from the emulated system the power to throttle/cease emulation development?

Also If theoretically I was to rip a PS3 game from the original BD that I own could this be considered illegal activity as well because the contents of the disk itself are encrypted and decrypting them would violate some strange DRM law?
tambre
Unregistered

01-26-2016, 06:34 PM -
(01-26-2016, 05:12 PM)randomnoob Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 03:22 PM)tambre Wrote: RPCS3 should automatically decrypt .self files.

That's what I was wondering but unfortunately there exists this concept of illegal numbers.
Afaik if a program is condemned with intend to "circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a [protected] work." it can be illegal to distribute and use such program. Afaik there has been certain cases like this with free (open source) software that circumvents AACS.

So my question is could the fact that modern consoles have very nasty DRM that has to be bypassed in order to emulate the console give companies that profit from the emulated system the power to throttle/cease emulation development?

Also If theoretically I was to rip a PS3 game from the original BD that I own could this be considered illegal activity as well because the contents of the disk itself are encrypted and decrypting them would violate some strange DRM law?

Sony at this point probably doesn't care enough about the PS3 anymore, thus I highly doubt they'll be taking legal action.

If you rip a PS3 game through a PS3 (getting the files using a FTP server), then AFAIK, it shouldn't be illegal, because the PS3 itself decrypts them, and you simply transmit them.
But I don't know much about legal stuff, so any of what I said could be completely wrong.