Some question regarding RPCS3
Started by JasonRMJ

2 posts in this topic
JasonRMJ
Unregistered

01-02-2016, 06:40 AM -
Waiting for some 5 more years left or less..
see if RPCS3 will work like the latest PCSX2.

So did DX12 made any huge differences to the development?
DX12 is highly advanced, since it cut half the computing process.
tambre
Unregistered

01-02-2016, 08:10 AM -
(01-02-2016, 06:40 AM)JasonRMJ Wrote: Waiting for some 5 more years left or less..
see if RPCS3 will work like the latest PCSX2.

So did DX12 made any huge differences to the development?
DX12 is highly advanced, since it cut half the computing process.

I definitely wouldn't want RPCS3 to work like PCSX2. PCSX2 is quite terrible.
Anyways, DX12 brought us a new developer who's the first one after a long time to make big improvements to RSX accuracy. DX12 itself isn't all that awesome, except for speed and probably a lot more lower-level access.
What I'm personally waiting for is Vulkan.
vlj
Unregistered

01-03-2016, 08:15 PM -
There's two big benefits of DX12 over GL :
- It leaves resource management to the app. Previous API managed resources in order to present them "as if" they were produced and consumed immediatly while in reality there was a delay between the instant a gfx command is submitted and the instant it is executed by the GPU. Unfortunatly this is often costly and redundant since PS3 app already have to handle resource management. This frees a lot of cpu cycle that can be better spent on PPU or SPU emulation.
- It's much much more reliable than GL. GL drivers are known for being buggy, unconformant and often slow and while there is a lot of efforts to solve this in my experience they're far far away from dx12 counterpart (although dx12 beeing available for 6 month ago). Of course there are some difference sometimes between dx12 implementation but nothing as bad as GL.

Hopefully Vulkan will solve both points. It's pretty much a given for the first one ; for the later hopefully the usage of a common shader IR (à la dxgi) and with a reduced API reliability can be achieved.