Translating to different languages?
Started by lolman555PL

6 posts in this topic
lolman555PL
Unregistered

08-29-2015, 08:32 PM -
Hi! I'd like to help the development of rpcs3, but i don't know much about coding(just some basic C++, Java and VB), and i've noticed that there are different languages to choose, and my language(Polish) is not translated yet. So i was thinking if i could help translating it. I started looking in the source code for files related to translating, but i couldn't find anything. So, my question is: is there anything i could translate? If yes, what are the files? Thanks in advance Smile
flashmozzg
Unregistered

08-30-2015, 12:24 AM -
Probably not. 1) A lot of stuff changes frequently and not stable, so that would mean invalidating translation a lot. 2) AFAIK GUI stuff and other translatable strings are not marked properly so you couldn't easily start translating even if you wanted.
tambre
Unregistered

08-30-2015, 06:21 AM -
Also another reason to not translate currently is, that we are most likely going to switch GUI backends in the near future (from wxWidgets to Qt, but not set in stone, yet).
Nekotekina
RPCS3 Developer

137 posts 5 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-30-2015, 06:25 PM -
AFAIK this setting wasn't meant to change GUI language. It's "game" setting which may allow the game to apply different language or regional settings.
lolman555PL
Unregistered

09-01-2015, 05:16 PM -
Ok, thanks for the help Smile
vlj
Unregistered

09-01-2015, 05:57 PM -
If you want to translate strings you may need to mark them sometime as translatable.
This mean that every in-line string (ie one between " I source code) need to be wrapped with _(...) macro.
For instance " draw count %d" in source code need to be transformed into _("draw count %d&quotWink
It's already done in some place but some strings in gui weren't properly marked last time I looked. And I think no error message are marked.

Then you need to run some gnu tool that will generate translation file that you can fill to get translated strings. You can open a project on Rosetta too if you want to make collaborative translation.
flashmozzg
Unregistered

09-01-2015, 07:13 PM -
(09-01-2015, 05:57 PM)vlj Wrote: If you want to translate strings you may need to mark them sometime as translatable.
This mean that every in-line string (ie one between " I source code) need to be wrapped with _(...) macro.
For instance " draw count %d" in source code need to be transformed into _("draw count %d&quotWink
It's already done in some place but some strings in gui weren't properly marked last time I looked. And I think no error message are marked.

Then you need to run some gnu tool that will generate translation file that you can fill to get translated strings. You can open a project on Rosetta too if you want to make collaborative translation.
Well, one problem is - it's only applicable for GUI. Since the rest of rpcs3 is tried to keep as much separated from wx/other frameworks as possible.