how do i start a ps3 game
Started by cns00

8 posts in this topic
cns00
Unregistered

06-20-2015, 07:36 AM -
i downloaded the latest rpcs3 emulator, ran it and it said 2 dll files are missing. i got them and i put them in same folder as emulator and then emulator launched

how do i start the game? the game that i want to play is:-
BLUS31397-[Tales of Xillia 2]

in the boot it says "boot elf/(s)elf file" and there is "boot game". should i first say boot elf and then boot game?

if yes then what is elf/(s)elf file and where is it? is it in the game folder or its like a bios file that i need to get?

i skipped the boot elf and i said boot game. i got the errors which are in the attached log.txt file

a popup saying "installing game data" showed and there was a green progress bar. when it finished another window opened with a black screen

please tell me how to start a game and what i did wrong
tambre
Unregistered

06-20-2015, 03:17 PM -
(06-20-2015, 07:36 AM)cns00 Wrote: i downloaded the latest rpcs3 emulator, ran it and it said 2 dll files are missing. i got them and i put them in same folder as emulator and then emulator launched

how do i start the game? the game that i want to play is:-
BLUS31397-[Tales of Xillia 2]

in the boot it says "boot elf/(s)elf file" and there is "boot game". should i first say boot elf and then boot game?

if yes then what is elf/(s)elf file and where is it? is it in the game folder or its like a bios file that i need to get?

i skipped the boot elf and i said boot game. i got the errors which are in the attached log.txt file

a popup saying "installing game data" showed and there was a green progress bar. when it finished another window opened with a black screen

please tell me how to start a game and what i did wrong

Good job, you ran the game as intended to! And you didn't do anything wrong.
Though it would be nice if you could upload the full log somewhere else.
The game runs pretty far considering how good the emulator is. You might want to wait a couple more years to actually play the game, until the emulator is developed further and is able to run the game.
cns00
Unregistered

06-20-2015, 07:55 PM -
this is the full log

what is elf\self?

is "boot elf\self" to play homebrew games and "boot game" to play commercial games?
tambre
Unregistered

06-21-2015, 07:08 AM -
(06-20-2015, 07:55 PM)cns00 Wrote: this is the full log

what is elf\self?

is "boot elf\self" to play homebrew games and "boot game" to play commercial games?

Just use google, it isn't that hard:
ELF

So:
ELF = Executable and Linkable Format
SELF = Signed Executable and Linkable Format

Basically elf/self are the .exe of PS3, for the general population.
Commercial and homebrew games both have to have at least one .elf or .self.
Though ideally you want to place the folder which includes the games, into the "dev_hdd0/game" folder.

Like this:
[Image: ef43b49e12.png]

Someone other than me might be able to explain the .elf and .self better than me.
cns00
Unregistered

06-22-2015, 05:26 PM -
no clue what you said

i checked. game folder is called BLUS31397-[Tales of Xillia 2]. in it there is folder called PS3_GAME, another folder called PS3_UPDATE and file called PS3_DISC.SFB. there is no .self or .elf file anywhere

how exactly do i start a game?

do i directly say boot game?

OR

i say boot ellf/self then i say boot game?

OR

i say boot elf/self only?
Darkriot

498 posts 29 threads Joined: Aug 2017
06-22-2015, 07:07 PM -
(06-22-2015, 05:26 PM)cns00 Wrote: no clue what you said

i checked. game folder is called BLUS31397-[Tales of Xillia 2]. in it there is folder called PS3_GAME, another folder called PS3_UPDATE and file called PS3_DISC.SFB. there is no .self or .elf file anywhere

how exactly do i start a game?

do i directly say boot game?

OR

i say boot ellf/self then i say boot game?

OR

i say boot elf/self only?

you need to run "eboot.bin (or boot.bin) on directly (select "boot elf/self&quotWink
cns00
Unregistered

06-22-2015, 07:42 PM -
i tried it. didnt work. the game i am trying to play is not yet supported it seems
d875j
Unregistered

06-23-2015, 12:15 AM -
(06-22-2015, 07:42 PM)cns00 Wrote: i tried it. didnt work. the game i am trying to play is not yet supported it seems

I swear people like you ruin the community. Learn to read damn.
tambre
Unregistered

06-23-2015, 10:13 AM -
(06-22-2015, 07:42 PM)cns00 Wrote: i tried it. didnt work. the game i am trying to play is not yet supported it seems

Literally no commercial game runs perfectly, yet. Even simple ones. I already posted you a link to the FAQ where it is nicely said.

EDIT:
Looks like I didn't post a link to FAQ, so here you go:
https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/wiki/FAQ