How can non-programmers help with RSX emulation?
Started by Ekaseo

5 posts in this topic
Ekaseo
Unregistered

02-24-2015, 10:01 AM -
Hi, I wanted to ask what can a non-programmer do to help you with the RSX emulation? I noticed in HLE menu that there is an option for RSX logging. Could that help you? or is there some other way to help? or at this point there is nothing I can do.
tambre
Unregistered

02-24-2015, 11:58 AM -
(02-24-2015, 10:01 AM)Ekaseo Wrote: Hi, I wanted to ask what can a non-programmer do to help you with the RSX emulation? I noticed in HLE menu that there is an option for RSX logging. Could that help you? or is there some other way to help? or at this point there is nothing I can do.

WARNING: I'm no expert on RSX, AlexAltea would be the one you would want to check the actual facts. CITATION NEEDED

I think it's best to report games that have minor graphical glitches (a color is off somewhere, text is fuzzy, etc). Since when we fix minor problems, the bigger problems in other games get smaller and the causes can be more easily traced.

For example: A game called Super Duper Blaster has it's HP bar not displaying the amount of HP you actually have. While Super Duper Blaster 2 has it's HP bar not displaying at all, glitched out textures on walls and the MP bar being offset from it's original position. The question becomes: Are all these problems in Super Duper Blaster 2 caused by one problem or 10 emulation inaccuracies in the emulator? By fixing the HP bar bug in Super Duper Blaster we can see that it may have already fixed the HP bar in Super Duper Blaster 2 not being visible. This would help us narrow down the problem in Super Duper Blaster 2. I think you already get the point.

About RSX logging: It logs all the calls made to the RSX by the game. If you're reporting any smaller problems in RSX, you should turn it on. Bigger problems are probably caused by some RSX features being unimplemented and those calls are usually already logged by default (e.g: DMA).
Wrath
Unregistered

02-27-2015, 01:32 PM -
Instead of creating a new similar thread, I'll ask here.

I'd like to contribute to RPCS3. I know programming and can learn fast. But this is the first time for me dealing with such projects. The only experience I have is from college courses about C++/ Data Structure and so on. Also, I studied the MIPs architecture before so it should a little smoother.

I checked the GitHub and I'm reading the PDFs there about CELL as a start. It is kinda huge and hard to digest at start. I'm trying to learn what I can about the CELL architecture, so I can understand the written code so far.

What is the best way for a beginner like me to start contributing? Who can I contact for further help in this?

P.S. I don't have a real PS3 or PS3 games. The only console I ever had was NES back in the old days Shy

Is having a PS3 necessary?

Thank you all.
tambre
Unregistered

02-27-2015, 04:20 PM -
(02-27-2015, 01:32 PM)Wrath Wrote: Instead of creating a new similar thread, I'll ask here.

I'd like to contribute to RPCS3. I know programming and can learn fast. But this is the first time for me dealing with such projects. The only experience I have is from college courses about C++/ Data Structure and so on. Also, I studied the MIPs architecture before so it should a little smoother.

I checked the GitHub and I'm reading the PDFs there about CELL as a start. It is kinda huge and hard to digest at start. I'm trying to learn what I can about the CELL architecture, so I can understand the written code so far.

What is the best way for a beginner like me to start contributing? Who can I contact for further help in this?

P.S. I don't have a real PS3 or PS3 games. The only console I ever had was NES back in the old days Shy

Is having a PS3 necessary?

Thank you all.

First I'd suggest you to join the #rpcs3 IRC channel on EFNet so you can talk to the developers directly and we can help you.
Nekotekina
RPCS3 Developer

137 posts 5 threads Joined: Aug 2017
02-28-2015, 11:24 PM -
Quote:Is having a PS3 necessary?

I'd say the opposite, it's better to not have it.
notq
RPCS3 Tester

435 posts 58 threads Joined: Nov 2017
03-01-2015, 06:44 AM -
(03-01-2015, 01:26 AM)AlexAltea Wrote:
(02-28-2015, 11:24 PM)NekotekinaHito Wrote:
Quote:Is having a PS3 necessary?

I'd say the opposite, it's better to not have it.

o_O
I assume you are taking into account factors like lost productivity caused by playing GTA5 way too much. Big Grin

I think he meant something like that Big Grin