rpcs3 on OS X
Started by captainhorst

2 posts in this topic
captainhorst
Unregistered

08-04-2014, 12:09 AM -
Hi,
I built rpcs3 on OS X Yosemite today and tried the spinning cube demo. Good news is it works. Smile Though it requires a little effort. The issue is that OS X makes a clear distinction between OpenGL legacy (only up to version 2.1) and core profile (version 3.2 to 4.1) and wxWidgets knows of no such distinction. I patched wxWidgets (the version found in the git repo) to create a core profile by default, since rpcs3 requires version 3.3 due to some shaders. By the way OpenGL 3.2 is far more common on most Macs. Even though rpcs3 emits a lot of OpenGL errors now since it still uses some of the legacy GL stuff which has been removed from core.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/4gXS7kt.png

Now I could add OpenGL context profile functionality as SDL2 has to wxWidgets (it's not yet on their roadmap i guess) and submit a pull request. Else there would be no OpenGL functionality for OS X builds I guess.
Then the core vs legacy issue: will rpcs3 rely on those deprecated features in the future or will you switch to core only?
What do you think?
Bigpet
Unregistered

08-04-2014, 08:32 AM -
(08-04-2014, 12:09 AM)captainhorst Wrote: Then the core vs legacy issue: will rpcs3 rely on those deprecated features in the future or will you switch to core only?
What do you think?

For the forseeable future we will still use a compatibility profile and use "deprecated features". Just because some of these features correspond 1:1 to Commands in libGcm. Re-building these features with a GL core features would sometimes involve quite a bit of work.

But if you're up to the task of accurately emulating the deprecated functionality with shaders and reliably sync the additional state with the used shaders then I would suggest adding that as a second renderer option.
captainhorst
Unregistered

08-04-2014, 04:54 PM -
(08-04-2014, 08:32 AM)Bigpet Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 12:09 AM)captainhorst Wrote: Then the core vs legacy issue: will rpcs3 rely on those deprecated features in the future or will you switch to core only?
What do you think?

For the forseeable future we will still use a compatibility profile and use "deprecated features". Just because some of these features correspond 1:1 to Commands in libGcm. Re-building these features with a GL core features would sometimes involve quite a bit of work.

Of course, that makes sense. Ok, for now I will try to work on wxWidgets to be able to specify the OpenGL profile.

Edit: created a ticket http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/16402.

(08-04-2014, 08:32 AM)Bigpet Wrote: But if you're up to the task of accurately emulating the deprecated functionality with shaders and reliably sync the additional state with the used shaders then I would suggest adding that as a second renderer option.

I will look into that. Smile