Ps3 IRC v1.00
Started by ssshadow

6 posts in this topic
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
05-01-2014, 10:18 PM -
Shows a gray screen with 100 fps. Needs the PS3 OS web browser (TODO: cellWebBrowserInitialize).

Download

Log

Screenshot
ssshadow
Administrator

05-01-2014, 10:59 PM -
(05-01-2014, 10:36 PM)AlexAltea Wrote: Yeah, this one and some homebrew called PS3 Messenger (or something like that) made by the same developer are really funny: They are just apps made in HTML and displayed using cellWebBrowser* functions afaik. Big Grin

So like Chrome OS only even more shit? Got it.

Tongue
derpf
Unregistered

05-02-2014, 09:23 AM -
(05-01-2014, 10:59 PM)ssshadow Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 10:36 PM)AlexAltea Wrote: Yeah, this one and some homebrew called PS3 Messenger (or something like that) made by the same developer are really funny: They are just apps made in HTML and displayed using cellWebBrowser* functions afaik. Big Grin

Tongue

Well, it's not like the PS3 offers any other way to render HTML UIs besides maybe using something like Webkit, which is probably going to be slower than using cellWebBrowser directly anyway.

I like using HTML/CSS for UIs. I'd do the same thing. It's just a bitch to emulate (because if you do it HLE style you're going to have to throw Webkit + Flash + a renderer on it for cellWebBrowser.)
ssshadow
Administrator

05-02-2014, 10:42 AM -
(05-02-2014, 09:23 AM)derpf Wrote:

Tongue

Well, it's not like the PS3 offers any other way to render HTML UIs besides maybe using something like Webkit, which is probably going to be slower than using cellWebBrowser directly anyway.

I like using HTML/CSS for UIs. I'd do the same thing. It's just a bitch to emulate (because if you do it HLE style you're going to have to throw Webkit + Flash + a renderer on it for cellWebBrowser.)

I know, I know. As for emulating, isn't Webkit a bit overkill? You would basically include a complete modern web browser in rpcs3... Although I don't know what you would use instead.
derpf
Unregistered

05-02-2014, 10:49 AM -
(05-02-2014, 10:42 AM)ssshadow Wrote:

Tongue

I know, I know. As for emulating, isn't Webkit a bit overkill? You would basically include a complete modern web browser in rpcs3... Although I don't know what you would use instead.

Webkit is a layout engine, meaning it contains code for laying out HTML/CSS documents so that you can hand it off to a renderer/chrome/scripting language interpreter/plugins/etc. Without those it's not an actual browser.

Since these are super-duper complex, you either need to use it (Webkit is one of the best and most easily embeddable/extensible/usable layout engines) or emulate enough of the PS3 OS to let it do the work for you.
ssshadow
Administrator

05-02-2014, 11:02 AM -
(05-02-2014, 10:49 AM)derpf Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 10:59 PM)ssshadow Wrote: So like Chrome OS only even more shit? Got it.

Tongue

Webkit is a layout engine, meaning it contains code for laying out HTML/CSS documents so that you can hand it off to a renderer/chrome/scripting language interpreter/plugins/etc. Without those it's not an actual browser.

Since these are super-duper complex, you either need to use it (Webkit is one of the best and most easily embeddable/extensible/usable layout engines) or emulate enough of the PS3 OS to let it do the work for you.
I know, which is why I said basically a browser, you need webkit, a renderer, a gui to control navigation... Still better to HLE all of that than to dump the PS3 browser and try running it. Performance is critical after all.

You could also do what some Windows programs do, and render with internet explorer /s Big Grin
derpf
Unregistered

05-02-2014, 11:34 AM -
(05-02-2014, 11:02 AM)ssshadow Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 10:49 AM)derpf Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 09:23 AM)derpf Wrote: Well, it's not like the PS3 offers any other way to render HTML UIs besides maybe using something like Webkit, which is probably going to be slower than using cellWebBrowser directly anyway.

I know, which is why I said basically a browser, you need webkit, a renderer, a gui to control navigation... Still better to HLE all of that than to dump the PS3 browser and try running it. Performance is critical after all.

You could also do what some Windows programs do, and render with internet explorer /s Big Grin

Yeah, so Webkit isn't overkill, and it's what's needed to HLE it. Tongue