Sonic CD [NPUB30624]
Started by BlackDaemon

105 posts in this topic
tambre
Unregistered

12-24-2014, 07:01 PM -
As of this pull request the game can probably categorized as Playable. It has next to no glitches or bugs, it seems to be also completely playable through. Now we need a new category - "Perfect".
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
12-24-2014, 08:00 PM -
(12-24-2014, 07:01 PM)tambre Wrote: As of this pull request the game can probably categorized as Playable. It has next to no glitches or bugs, it seems to be also completely playable through. Now we need a new category - "Perfect".

Haven't tested yet, but does the new game video play, or does it only skip? More importantly however, was saving fixed? I wouldn't say a game is playable if you can't save or load. I think I would say it's playable with working save/load, and perfect if that video also plays.

Can someone compile that pull with the recompiler for me? I'm lazy :p
tambre
Unregistered

12-24-2014, 08:04 PM -
(12-24-2014, 08:00 PM)ssshadow Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 07:01 PM)tambre Wrote: As of this pull request the game can probably categorized as Playable. It has next to no glitches or bugs, it seems to be also completely playable through. Now we need a new category - "Perfect".

So does the new game video play, or does it only skip? More importantly however, was saving fixed? I wouldn't say a game is playable if you can't save or load. I think I would say it's playable with working save/load, and perfect if that video also plays. But yes, perfect would be a good category to have, some homebrews are already there.

Yeah, I completely forgot about the saving and video. No, it doesn't save neither does the video play.
If I remember right AlexAltea did want to have a "Perfect" category, but at the time he didn't consider it necessary because nothing would even run properly yet. But I think a "Perfect" category is completely acceptable to be added now.
ssshadow
Administrator

12-24-2014, 08:54 PM -
I compiled that new version with recompiler and put it up for download here.

So, the issues that prevent this game from being perfect:

*Music sounds weird/not right
*No video after pressing new game
*No save/load -> This can cause further issues, a game over will loop indefinitely since saving never finishes.

The save thread just loops forever on:
HLE: W {PPU[242] Thread (AUTOSAVE)[0x00e0f0a0]} vfsLocalFile::Create('d:/rpcs3/dev_hdd0/home/00000001/savedata/npub30624-auto/sdata.bin')
derpf
Unregistered

12-25-2014, 03:22 AM -

Hmm, coolio. Not entirely sure why you didn't just pull in my branch and then work on top of that, but that works I guess.

(12-24-2014, 08:54 PM)ssshadow Wrote: So, the issues that prevent this game from being perfect:

*Music sounds weird/not right
*No video after pressing new game
*No save/load -> This can cause further issues, a game over will loop indefinitely since saving never finishes.

The save thread just loops forever on:
HLE: W {PPU[242] Thread (AUTOSAVE)[0x00e0f0a0]} vfsLocalFile::Create('d:/rpcs3/dev_hdd0/home/00000001/savedata/npub30624-auto/sdata.bin')

Yeah, and I see no reason for it to do that. Big Grin It's probably something with the cellSave (can't recall the name) stuff that's causing it to repeatedly save in the same slot. I kind of wish our debugger was better...

Anyway, Merry Christmas. Play some SANIC TEH HEDGEHORG, eat some chili dogs.
derpf
Unregistered

12-25-2014, 08:41 AM -
Okay, I fixed the infinite save bug. Someone isn't getting cookies this year. </Santa cosplay>
tambre
Unregistered

12-25-2014, 09:37 AM -
We have our first playable commercial game! Smile
Now music isn't good and no video after pressing new game.
I have got an idea how to possibly implement the video playback.

Merry Christmas everyone and have fun playing the SONIC CD!
DaHandy
Unregistered

12-25-2014, 01:31 PM -
This is awesome news!

Thank you all who have been contributing in this project, keep it up. I'm pretty sure the video playback is quite easily implemented Smile
Ru4slan
Unregistered

12-25-2014, 01:47 PM -
(12-25-2014, 09:37 AM)tambre Wrote: We have our first playable commercial game! Smile
Now music isn't good and no video after pressing new game.
I have got an idea how to possibly implement the video playback.

Merry Christmas everyone and have fun playing the SONIC CD!

Wow!Really?Its cool.I have birthday(6 Jan).This is super news.
ssshadow
Administrator

12-25-2014, 04:01 PM -
Sweet! The two remaining issues before the game is perfect seems to be music that sounds off (too fast regardless of frame rate I think) and that missing video. However since all sound in the game is already playing it might not be to hard to tune it a bit, hopefully.

Should missing achievements also be counted you think? I would say so if we really want it to be completely identical to a real PS3. Although just printing "trophy unlocked" in the log should be sufficient in that case.