GCM commands
Started by Ekaseo

41 posts in this topic
Ekaseo
Unregistered

03-18-2014, 08:02 PM -
(03-18-2014, 07:27 PM)elisha464 Wrote: put the border color thing in the init of the GLTexture

could you implement it?
mr.devolver
Unregistered

03-18-2014, 09:42 PM -
(03-18-2014, 05:43 PM)AlexAltea Wrote: Everything is breaking at the same time, fucking shit... Angry Today is going to be a funny day.

Don't worry, relax, perfection takes time. I believe in you guys, I believe you can bring this project successfully to the finish! *Hugs* Big Grin Heart
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
03-18-2014, 10:05 PM -
GTA V will take a while... years even. It would most likely require at least a complete implementation of all things spurs (multi threading stuff basically) and gcm (graphics stuff) to begin with (both are insanely complex and hard to do). Then there would have to be a PPU and SPU recompiler to even have a chance of reasonable performance, which is also hard to do and takes a long time to do. And then there are probably a lot of misc things like save support and all that.

I see now that the "official" test of GTA V is done incorrectly, the game doesn't run further because it cant find a file. So anyone is free to test it properly if they want to. Make sure /app_home/update:/common/shaders/psn_final/im.cgx is there. Of course, preceding this are hundreds of spurs errors, so don't get your hope up... At best maybe loadable at this point I think.
mr.devolver
Unregistered

03-19-2014, 12:20 PM -
(03-18-2014, 10:05 PM)ssshadow Wrote: GTA V will take a while... years even. It would most likely require at least a complete implementation of all things spurs (multi threading stuff basically) and gcm (graphics stuff) to begin with (both are insanely complex and hard to do). Then there would have to be a PPU and SPU recompiler to even have a chance of reasonable performance, which is also hard to do and takes a long time to do. And then there are probably a lot of misc things like save support and all that.

I see now that the "official" test of GTA V is done incorrectly, the game doesn't run further because it cant find a file. So anyone is free to test it properly if they want to. Make sure /app_home/update:/common/shaders/psn_final/im.cgx is there. Of course, preceding this are hundreds of spurs errors, so don't get your hope up... At best maybe loadable at this point I think.

Wow, thanks for such detailed info, but I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you, because I am a total noob here, so it's like you are talking to me in totally unknown language to me Sad I'm just a super excited person about this project, that's all. Blush That comment about GTA V is a part of my signature though, means it's showing below each and every post I make and it was just something I felt like telling developers because I think that rpcs3 team is really capable to do this, even if it will take years, I actually wouldn't mind, because the point is that I started to believe it is possible as we all can already see some good results in other games, I believe that with this team of such great and capable programmers, it's just a matter of time and I am very patient person, I promise that, so don't worry, take your time guys, polish it to the littlest details of perfection, I dare to say that you are already the winners because you have done something what a few people could only dream of and others even denied that it could ever be done, so yeah, I believe in you guys, thank you for doing this! *Hugs* Big Grin Heart
ssshadow
Administrator

03-19-2014, 12:54 PM -
(03-19-2014, 12:20 PM)mr.devolver Wrote: That comment about GTA V is a part of my signature though

How did I not see that... Tongue

Well, in any case, to clarify further for anyone who might read this. Games such as GTA V, FF XIII, etc, makes use of everything the PS3 can do, therefore the entire emulator pretty much has to be "done" before they will work. Games that do run right now, like Arkedo 2 Swap, doesn't make much of use of anything in comparison. "Basic" spurs would probably give it sound, and then there is just save/load support.

The first games that will be playable will be simpler 2D titiles, much like the Arkedo series, and maybe also games such as Disgaea which only have very basic 3D, and don't immediately seem to make use of advanced ps3 features.

The good news is that I do optimistically think that a good gaming pc, that is a good clocked i5/i7 and any decent GPU like a gtx 760 will be fast enough to play these games once what we call a recompiler is done.

What is a recompiler? It basically takes the ps3 program and translates it to a language your computer understands. Therefore it can run a lot faster, more like a native program would (though still slowed down considerably probably, for various reasons). How much faster? Take the frame rate you get now, and multiply by 10. So a horrible 6 fps suddenly becomes 60.
derpf
Unregistered

03-19-2014, 01:14 PM -
(03-19-2014, 12:54 PM)ssshadow Wrote: What is a recompiler? It basically takes the ps3 program and translates it to a language your computer understands. Therefore it can run a lot faster, more like a native program would (though still slowed down considerably probably, for various reasons).

You guys are just interpreting right now, right? When do you reckon some sufficiently crazy folk will begin work on a dynamic recompiler? Big Grin
Ekaseo
Unregistered

03-19-2014, 01:16 PM -
(03-19-2014, 01:14 PM)derpf Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 12:54 PM)ssshadow Wrote: What is a recompiler? It basically takes the ps3 program and translates it to a language your computer understands. Therefore it can run a lot faster, more like a native program would (though still slowed down considerably probably, for various reasons).

You guys are just interpreting right now, right? When do you reckon some sufficiently crazy folk will begin work on a dynamic recompiler? Big Grin

DH already works on it (i dont think i must explain how complex cell architecture is and how difficult it is to write a recompiler)
ssshadow
Administrator

03-19-2014, 01:20 PM -
(03-19-2014, 01:16 PM)Ekaseo Wrote:

DH already works on it (i dont think i must explain how complex cell architecture is and how difficult it is to write a recompiler)

Even writing a compiler is hard... a fast recompiler... for cell?

yeah.

However, absolutely not impossible.
derpf
Unregistered

03-19-2014, 01:36 PM -
(03-19-2014, 01:20 PM)ssshadow Wrote:
(03-19-2014, 01:16 PM)Ekaseo Wrote:

Even writing a compiler is hard... a fast recompiler... for cell?

yeah.

However, absolutely not impossible.

Doesn't have to be fast at first, of course. Just has to correctly translate instructions -- you can worry about optimizations way later on down the road.
ssshadow
Administrator

03-19-2014, 01:53 PM -
Of course. First make it work, then make it work better. A really good rule to have in mind when coding something...