Is it my PC, or is this how .pkg files run?
Started by Jerry Hatrick

0 posts in this topic
Jerry Hatrick

1 posts 1 threads Joined: Sep 2024
Question  09-10-2024, 06:14 AM -
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel i5-10600k @ 4.1 GHz (12 cores)
16 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Games and emulator are on one of my Samsung 2TB SSDs

I've only just begun attempting to emulate this generation of games. I run everything else through Launchbox but I'm running RPCS3 direct from file until I get comfortable with it.

I only have a sample size of one game here (Drakengard 3) so I'm *hoping* it's just the game or the .pkg format, but I'm not convinced based on the very frequent "compiling shaders" notifications and slow texture loading. I played through the first mission and every time something remotely 'new' happened it would freeze for a split second (I would call it "microstuttering" but I don't know the proper vernacular), the message would pop up, and I'd be staring at missing or black textures where people and objects should be until they finally pop in. This was non-stop throughout the gameplay. The cutscenes work fine.

By comparison, I have XBox 360 versions of Armored Core 4 and 4A isos running on Xenia Canary and they run perfectly. No stuttering, loading issues, etc. If this is an irrelevant comparison please just pretend I didn't mention it.

Here's where my knowledge fails me as I tend to learn just enough about these things to make them work but I'm still essentially an amateur. Drakengard 3 is in .pkg format, but when I attempted to play the (glitchy) version of Armored Core 4 I didn't have any of these problems (just a bunch of other ones that are apparently known). However Armored Core 4 was in a...different format. They have .sfb files...are they considered sfb? The folders look like this:

[Image: 9Chrqml.png]

It's a bit of a pain to acquire PS3 games just for testing so all I have are these for now. I'm just curious if this is how .pkg games are supposed to run, or if my computer is too ancient, or...something else?

I can probably take a video of this as long as Nvidia shadowplay works.