Games No Longer Working with HDR
Started by Drybonz

5 posts in this topic
Drybonz

17 posts 4 threads Joined: Mar 2018
01-15-2024, 02:58 PM -
In the past I could play a game in fullscreen with HDR normally.

With some recent update, the games now look very dark and when I close the game my HDR system wide is off and I have to toggle it off and back on in Windows 11 to get everything back to normal.  I tried this with Windows auto-HDR off and on, but with the same results.  I'm wondering if there was some recent change that would affect RPCS3 working with HDR on (I'm using Vulkan), and maybe how far back I would need to roll back to get the old behavior.

Thanks for the help.
Kingoftheroad

5 posts 0 threads Joined: Jan 2024
01-28-2024, 02:25 AM -
(01-15-2024, 02:58 PM)Drybonz Wrote: In the past I could play a game in fullscreen with HDR normally.

With some recent update, the games now look very dark and when I close the game my HDR system wide is off and I have to toggle it off and back on in Windows 11 to get everything back to normal.  I tried this with Windows auto-HDR off and on, but with the same results.  I'm wondering if there was some recent change that would affect RPCS3 working with HDR on (I'm using Vulkan), and maybe how far back I would need to roll back to get the old behavior.

Thanks for the help.

hi. If you have a nvidia rtx card, then you might have improved HDR features on the latest driver. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/new...dy-driver/
Drybonz

02-13-2024, 05:55 PM -
It almost seems like it is running in GL, even though I have Vulkan checked, and not working with HDR.
Drybonz

02-16-2024, 04:38 AM -
(01-28-2024, 02:25 AM)Kingoftheroad Wrote: hi. If you have a nvidia rtx card, then you might have improved HDR features on the latest driver. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/new...dy-driver/

Thanks for the reply, but the feature you are talking about is for streaming video in browsers.  It wouldn't affect this.
themanuel

27 posts 7 threads Joined: Apr 2018
02-28-2024, 05:15 PM -
Actually the new NVidia RTX HDR is very good compared to Windows Auto HDR, and I have been using it on RPCS3 and Yuzu to great effect, even though my TV is only capable of decent HDR. You just have to download the new "NVidia App", which upgrades NVidia GeForce Experience, and add RPCS3.exe to the list of applications under "Graphics Settings". Launch any game with emulator and open the NVidia overlay with Alt+Z, then add "RTX HDR" under filters.
Here are some good recommendations on settings: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments..._settings/
I would not recommend the other feture "RTX Dynamic Vibrance", because it makes blacks look gray, the HDR highlights don't stand out as much, and the colors looked off to me.

To answer your original concern, if you have and NVidia card and are using Vulkan on RPCS3, make sure that in NVidia Control Panel, under 3D Settings, the very last entry in the list "Vulkan/OpengL present method" is set to "Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain". Without this setting, Windows Auto HDR does not work, and I think RTX HDR requires it too. It will also mess up your Windows HDR seetings when you close the emulator if you don't do this.
Drybonz

03-09-2024, 08:12 PM -
(02-28-2024, 05:15 PM)themanuel Wrote: To answer your original concern, if you have and NVidia card and are using Vulkan on RPCS3, make sure that in NVidia Control Panel, under 3D Settings, the very last entry in the list "Vulkan/OpengL present method" is set to "Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain".

Thanks for this... I think this may have actually solved the problem, as I can launch/exit a game and my desktop HDR isn't messed up... at least so far.  Thanks again.