Error running a 'Digital-Copy' game
Started by loz

3 posts in this topic
loz

4 posts 1 threads Joined: Dec 2023
12-14-2023, 08:05 PM -
Hello, firstly many thanks to the makers of this great software. Much appreciated.
Secondly, I am pretty sure everything I am trying to do is legal and legit, but please remove the thread if deemed otherwise.

So my story is, I am sick of having PS3 consoles that fail, which is why I looked into emulation using a fairly new Windows 11 PC. I have many games on Blu-Ray discs, but at the moment I am focusing on transferring my 'Digital-Copy' games from my PS3 to my PC. All legally purchased through the online store and downloaded using my PS3 console. I have been following this guide:
https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=H..._PSN_games

I have so far accomplished the following:
- Installed HEN
- Installed MultiMAN
- Installed RPCS3 on my Windows PC. Installed the latest PS3 firmware into RPCS3.
- Copied all game files from /dev_hdd0/game/ (on console) to my PC
- Used PS3merge to rejoin files that were over 4GB
- Copied all game files to the same path within the RPCS3 folder (on PC). From what I understand, I don't need .pkg files in this scenario.
- Copied all of the relevant .rif files from the console to my PC
- The act.dat file was not on my PS3, so I used Apollo Save Tool to do an Account Activation. Not sure if this was the correct solution, but it created an act.dat file, which I then copied to my PC
- Found the IDPS of my console through MultiMAN, made a note of it.
- Converted the IDPS to hex. I am not 100% that I did this correctly. Wasn't sure what happens with the hyphen characters within the string. However, I then used RifConv to successfully create a bunch of .rap files
- Copied all the rap files to \dev_hdd0\home\00000001\exdata\  in the RPCS3 installation on my PC

When running RPCS3, I was happy to find that all my games appear in the main list. However, when I try to run a game, I get the following error (same error for all games):

Can't figure out what I have done wrong, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 01:42 PM by loz.
loz

12-18-2023, 09:05 AM -
No replies Sad

The way I see it - the problem must be either my attempt to convert the IDPS to hex ... OR ... The act.dat file.

I wonder if any savvy person from the RPCS3 team would kindly convert my IDPS to a .hex file, so that I know it's been done properly? If yes, please send me a message.

If that doesn't fix it, the problem must be with the act.dat file, so I would need a way of re-generating it. Does anyone know of such a method?

Thanks.
loz

12-24-2023, 09:50 AM -
For anyone interested, find attached the log file.

My apologies for not posting it earlier. I assumed it was the same as what was in the log window, but on closer inspection, there is much more.

To protect my personal information, I have replaced my name in the path strings with 'abc123'. Hope this is not a problem. No other changes made.

Attached Files
.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 4.87 KB / Downloads: 3)
loz

01-21-2024, 06:08 PM -
Update for anyone who is interested.

Today I finally summoned up the courage to try an idea that I had. My idea was to delete the act.dat file, then see if it gets re-generated when signing in to the Playstation Store (instead of using Apollo Save Tool to generate the file)

I was happy to find that the file was re-generated.

Next I deleted and re-downloaded/installed a game (Bomberman Ultra) on my PS3 to test with, and copied the game files to my RPCS3 installation again, and copied the .rif files again. Not sure if these steps were necessary, but I did it anyway.

Then used RifConv to generate the .rap file, copied it to the RPCS3 installation, loaded RPCS3 and was delighted to find that Bomberman Ultra now loads!

After this success, I deleted/re-downloaded the rest of my digital-copy games. Ran each game once on my PS3 and installed any updates. Re-copied the rif files for these games. Created the .rap files, and copied to RPCS3.

The digital-copy games that I have include:
Bomberman Ultra (NPEB00076)
Dirt 3 (NPEB00848)
Dirt Showdown (NPEB00883)
Metal Slug 3 (NPEB02252)
Raiden IV: OverKill (NPEB01890)
Sky Force Anniversary (NPEB02327)
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II (NPEB00717)

I have not done thorough testing yet, but all games except Sky Force Anniversary seem to load to the main menu.

Sky Force Anniversary loads partially then crashes and RPCS3 closes without any error message. This seems strange because on the 'Compatibility' webpage, the game is marked as 'Playable'. I am attaching the log file to this post that gets generated when running Sky Force Anniversary (all instances of my name in path strings replaced with 'abc123'). Perhaps someone from the RPCS3 team could kindly take a look to see what the problem is?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: My system specs are: AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX / 4060 / Win11 / 16GB / latest nVidia drivers as of today
This post was last modified: 01-21-2024, 06:19 PM by loz.

Attached Files
.7z   RPCS3.7z (Size: 271.15 KB / Downloads: 1)