Is the vram leak fixed that was affecting nvidia cards on new drivers late last year?
Started by iameatingjam

1 posts in this topic
iameatingjam

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Nov 2022
08-04-2023, 02:47 AM -
I remember late last year I was trying to play Tales of Graces f on my 3070 and it would crash after an hour or two of play. It turned out it was because of a vram leak. My problem was the same as the one described here:

https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/12949

I too had that error " Vulkan API call failed with unrecoverable error: Out of video memory (VRAM) (VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DEVICE_MEMORY)"

With that information I was able to resolve the problem by rolling back my drivers.

Looked like it affected more than just Tales of Graces f too, like NCAA 14 and MGS4:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpcs3/comments/...pcs3_0025/

Anyway I'm just curious because rolling back drivers isn't going to be possible for people on newer nvidia cards. The suggested driver version, 522.25 supports the 4090 but doesn't support any of the other 40 series cards, or at least thats what the download page says.

I've already completed the game and am more concerned for others. I now have a 4090, the latest drivers and the latest version of rpcs3. Just to test I loaded up the game with rivatuner statistics server and monitored vram. I played briefly and didn't see the vram ever go down, but I can't say if the bug remains or if its just caching things because it now has 24gb to do so. I don't have the 3070 anymore unfortunately.

Would people with say a 8gb 4060/4060 ti have vram crashes like I did but with no recourse? Or has there been a fix?

And sorry if the answer is old news, I haven't exactly been paying attention the last 9 months. I tried to see if I could find a changelog or something but with multiple versions being released every day I didn't even know where to start looking. Also I wasn't sure if the problem would have potentially been fixed on the rpcs3 side or the nvidia side.
Ani
Administrator

4,278 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
08-04-2023, 10:03 PM -
The VRAM issues with NVIDIA drivers were fixed quite a while ago, we're not aware of any active issues that lead to VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DEVICE_MEMORY
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux