RPCS3 Freezes every time the 3D part of a game starts
Started by NovaDorium

4 posts in this topic
NovaDorium

3 posts 1 threads Joined: Oct 2022
10-01-2022, 06:05 PM -
Hey, this is my first post so I apologize if I make a mistake with the rules,

I had used RPCS3 on my desktop with minimal issues before and decided that it would be pretty lucrative for me to install it on my steam deck as well.

Unfortunately (after quite literally hours of troubleshooting half a dozen different issues), one issue, in particular, has stumped me and I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue

I will use Uncharted: Drakes fortune to describe the issue, this ROM in particular is the exact same one I am using on my Desktop

The game launches just fine, I can create a save for my new game and it will launch into the opening cutscene without so much as a stutter
however, once the cut scene completes the game simply freezes, with no hard crash or (to my untrained eye) blaring errors in the log just an infinite suspension (30 minutes was the longest I let it stew)

I tried with another one of my classic favourites, the last of us, and it has identical symptoms, the game launches, I can start a new game and save yet after that really cool particle effect for a loading screen, it freezes,

Hoping someone can give me a hand with this cause I am completely stumped

TL;DR
games load and run just fine on my steam deck up until the actual game part starts, once 3D is required the RPCS3 just freezes and soft crashes, have tried on uncharted 1 and the last of us with identical results
hours of troubleshooting and messing with various settings that I don't fully understand has unsurprisingly yielded nothing, hoping for a guru to help me out, Thanks!

Attached Files
.7z   RPCS3.log.7z (Size: 253.21 KB / Downloads: 1)
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
10-01-2022, 11:33 PM -
Log shows a non official build is being used

Either way, with or without stability, the performance for this game is not going to be anywhere near Playable on a CPU as weak as the one in the Steam Deck
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
NovaDorium

10-01-2022, 11:48 PM -
(10-01-2022, 11:33 PM)Ani Wrote: Log shows a non official build is being used

Either way, with or without stability, the performance for this game is not going to be anywhere near Playable on a CPU as weak as the one in the Steam Deck

that's very bizarre, I downloaded the version from the built-in package manager, I assumed it was the flatpack version. Not sure how it could be an unofficial build but will look into it

Also looking at the minimum system requirements it does look like the steam deck does manage to meet them and in some cases exceed them (I understand it's still not a powerful PC by any means), I'm sure it will still struggle with more demanding games like the last of us and uncharted, wasn't expecting perfection, but I would like to get some games working,
even if only to toy with some less demanding games down the line

is there any setting you could think of that I may have incorrectly set that would cause the weird issue I have been having? I did manage to get infamous to run after a light bit of tinkering, doesn't run well mind you but still, and I have no clue what I did differently with that game cause the others still don't run

Thanks for your help!
yurinator557
RPCS3 Tester

356 posts 44 threads Joined: Jul 2019
10-02-2022, 08:31 AM -
The only official release for Steam Deck is the official AppImage, use that and upload another log with that build
NovaDorium

10-02-2022, 10:07 PM -
(10-02-2022, 08:31 AM)yurinator557 Wrote: The only official release for Steam Deck is the official AppImage, use that and upload another log with that build

Hey, looks like that was the issue, thanks! damn pacman version, not sure where it came from but hey, its bad.

With a bit of tinkering I even managed to get Uncharted to a "playable" framerate of 15 - 20 FPS,
Will see if I cant keep toying with settings or maybe just play simpler games.