M1 Support - NCAA 14. Advice in wiki doesn't work and game freezes + audio crackle
Started by ncaa14now

3 posts in this topic
ncaa14now

12 posts 5 threads Joined: Sep 2019
09-05-2022, 11:08 PM -
I have the latest build RPCS3 for the Macbook Pro. Great job to whoever built this for Mac . The intel version was impossible even in bootcamp as the CPU would just go super high and the system was impossible to use and fry an egg hot.

I'm trying to play NCAA 14. It works ok not great from a speed perspective with my 8 core Macbook Pro. The game is entirely CPU limited, so anyone using a Mac, I'd get the Max chip at the least.

That said, the game has discoloring on a lot of textures when you're actually playing a game. The wiki says...

"Needed in order to fix black field glitch during day games, which is present in various NCAA Football and Madden NFL games. After building up a shader cache using Async with Shader Interpreter mode, users can switch back to Async (multithreaded) for subsequent boots if required. "

Unfortunately, when I try to run the game with Async with Shder Interpreter, it just freezes while booting the game. I can't get any logs since its just frozen.  Since I can't run the game this way once, I'm stuck with the black field glitch.

The second issue is that the audio is crackling throughout the game.

Can anyone help with these? Thanks!!
yurinator557
RPCS3 Tester

356 posts 44 threads Joined: Jul 2019
09-08-2022, 07:38 PM -
Crackling audio is generally from the CPU being too weak. AFAIK where the M1 shines is in its power efficiency and its GPU instead of its CPU cores so I would expect that on this game, it's rather intensive.
From what I heard, the shader interpreter doesn't properly work on macOS at the current moment so you'll just have to live with the bad graphics.
ncaa14now

12 posts 5 threads Joined: Sep 2019
09-08-2022, 08:22 PM -
It seems entirely CPU bound so if that's what causes crackle it would make sense. I can see all 6 performance cores are pinned. I got the more basic processor because of worried about heat issues. The GPU itself seems fine. I'll probably have to put this off until I get a newer stupid expensive laptop. I really appreciate your response.

I tried running at a lower resolution to try to speed things up but that hasn't helped. Would disabling audio do much?
yurinator557
RPCS3 Tester

356 posts 44 threads Joined: Jul 2019
09-08-2022, 08:45 PM -
Muting the audio will obviously remove the crackling but it won't fix the performance, you are correct in that it's CPU bound