I need some help on fan levels of a PS3 (Phat)
Started by dempixels

4 posts in this topic
dempixels

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Mar 2018
Question  03-06-2018, 09:03 PM -
hey guys, just so you know.. I am pretty much new here so. super short introduction, ready?

My name is William, I like editing video's and love working on computers/electronics. My favorite colour is purple and I am from Dutch nationality. Okay that's it. 

Off to the topic,

I recently obtained the European (obviously) version of the original backwards compatible PS3.
It was full of dust, it was never even opened since day 1. The warranty sticker still sat nicely on the console. So I cleaned it out, put some new cooling paste on the GPU/CPU, put it back together and began playing ps2/ps3 games.

Now after searching around the internet people are talking about fan levels, and I don't know how loud the "dangerous" fan level 4 as people call it. I know these original BC PS3's where known for being mobile heaters.  Rolleyes

Just for the information this is how the fan behaves after cleaning, 
- on boot up and going in-game the PS3 stays absolutely quiet, 0% sound (except for the harddrive), for about 10~15 minutes 
- after 10 minutes there's a slight wind-flow to be heard going through the back and it stays there for another ~15 minutes
- on total after the about ~30 minutes of gameplay it's a bit noticeable, but it isn't affecting my gameplay or anything
This fan level will be kept through-out the whole time when I am playing a PS3/Ps2 game (takes a tad longer when playing ps2 games), but the fan doesn't slow down after I quit the game.. but it does get a whole bunch cooler. 

This was how the fan behaved before cleaning (you can ignore this part is you want)
- wind-flow was to be heard within 2 minutes of booting up the console and going in-game
- 5 minutes in the game and there was about the same level of noise as previously stated
- 15 minutes in the game and there was some serious noise coming from the console, it kinda hindered my gameplay

now that's out of the way, can someone explain how loud fan levels are really? Because I am sorta worried that my "new" PS3 is going to give me a YLOD when I have it for only 2 months for example. (even though I play rarely because of my study) 
Thanks in advance!
Augusto

79 posts 40 threads Joined: Feb 2018
04-02-2018, 09:42 AM -
If after 15 minutes and the sound level is very high and not lowering perhaps CPU and GPU not has enough pressure in contact.
Have much care when doing it ... PS3 "fat" has problem in cooler when disassemble.
See the high number of users saying about it in Playstation official forums.
I has a last model PS3 "fat" damaged because of bad cooler contact.
Have care when mounting the cooler doing pressure because may damage the RSX solder balls.
MasterTurkey

125 posts 51 threads Joined: Feb 2018
04-04-2018, 08:15 AM -
ez chill has a little mod with a potentiometer allowing you to control the fan, but this also means taking it apart again to adjust unless you dremel a small hole and/or mount somewhere with access. It's a little expensive, but I dig mine. I'm planning on buying a second one for my fat.

off topic of your off topic, the ps3's (even the slim) was a very poor design for heat load removal. I cut a hole in my slim and used an old dust filter to create a much better design on my slim. above the fan (because it was essentially drawing air from within the case before I cut a hole)... looking at my fat, that would be much harder to do. however i am planning on figuring out some way to remedy that. if you aren't opposed to drilling holes, i'll bet there someone on the internet who has modded their fat with better airflow. literally drilling holes in places i'm assuming.

ps. it sounds like you already took it apart for new thermal paste. you might look into the "ez chill" on ebay. or making your own potentiometer.
This post was last modified: 04-04-2018, 08:16 AM by MasterTurkey.
dempixels

2 posts 1 threads Joined: Mar 2018
04-04-2018, 09:06 AM -
(04-02-2018, 09:42 AM)Augusto Wrote: If after 15 minutes and the sound level is very high and not lowering perhaps CPU and GPU not has enough pressure in contact.
Have much care when doing it ... PS3 "fat" has problem in cooler when disassemble.
See the high number of users saying about it in Playstation official forums.
I has a last model PS3 "fat" damaged because of bad cooler contact.
Have care when mounting the cooler doing pressure because may damage the RSX solder balls.

Thank you for you response, it isn't very loud or anything. you just hear some wind coming from the PS3 and it isn't noisy at all and it gets plenty of breathing room. it is atleast more quiet than my PS4... seriously my PS4 makes 50% more noise than this one. actually, my ps4 is a vacuum cleaner compared to this.

Oh and about the pressure from the cooling on the cpu/gpu I made sure it was screwed tight. You can feel some good heat coming from the console not just cold wind or anything.
And if i reboot the console after letting it cool down for about ~20 minutes it just reverts to being quiet again.

(04-04-2018, 08:15 AM)MasterTurkey Wrote: ez chill has a little mod with a potentiometer allowing you to control the fan, but this also means taking it apart again to adjust unless you dremel a small hole and/or mount somewhere with access. It's a little expensive, but I dig mine. I'm planning on buying a second one for my fat.

off topic of your off topic, the ps3's (even the slim) was a very poor design for heat load removal. I cut a hole in my slim and used an old dust filter to create a much better design on my slim. above the fan (because it was essentially drawing air from within the case before I cut a hole)... looking at my fat, that would be much harder to do. however i am planning on figuring out some way to remedy that. if you aren't opposed to drilling holes, i'll bet there someone on the internet who has modded their fat with better airflow. literally drilling holes in places i'm assuming.

ps. it sounds like you already took it apart for new thermal paste. you might look into the "ez chill" on ebay. or making your own potentiometer.

I'll take it in consideration, but I don't think i'll do it. I play rarely on the PS3 and if I play on it, it's just short burst of about ~2 hours and mostly PS2 games.
This post was last modified: 04-04-2018, 09:09 AM by dempixels.
KarenWilliamson

7 posts 0 threads Joined: Sep 2018
09-14-2018, 10:22 AM -
May there will be a problem in setting or in hardware of the console.