How long will rpcs3 take to finish or get to next step?
Started by haagens

7 posts in this topic
haagens
Unregistered

05-07-2014, 09:37 PM -
That's why I said estimate ... given the factor of commit averages, percent needed to work on, and down and up times, it's very possible to estimate a span of time from which rpcs3 could indeed improve enough to play a greater deal of ps3 games. 20 uber skilled people joining is not realistic, but an estimation based on plenty of observable factors is, namely:

1.Commit averages (Git measures).
2.Work needed to be done (Roadmap).
3.Contributor averages to gain perspective (check Git history).
4.Estimated workload frequency (factoring in overall potential by averages).

I could analyze and try to get a decent guess, and of course not even that is perfect, but estimation is the best tool for the unknown.

I could make a ballpark guess and say that since it took 3 years to reach playable games (of the lowest stock), it will have to take at least three more years, but that would be a wild goose guess with no statistics behind it. I don't know enough of ps3 but I have estimated timeframes for some other projects and they were all wrong, but close enough to give a fair idea. I believe estimations of some sort give a plausible, sensical, determinant, realistic view of this project's future.

If nobody estimated, everything would be a wild guess ... and wild guesses can hurt. Wouldn't you guys be more comfortable going by a measure of "X point in time to see real progress," rather than blindly, aimlessly adding code over years and being enthralled when the next game improves a pinch? To add more "too long; didn't read" to this post, estimating a time can also set a goal that's worth working for, not just coding up in air.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How long will rpcs3 take to finish or get to next step? - by haagens - 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM