Disgaea 3 - Playable by how much?
Started by mushroom

26 posts in this topic
derpf
Unregistered

04-29-2014, 12:20 AM -
(04-28-2014, 07:16 PM)ssshadow Wrote: A very nice bug that should never ever be fixed: If I hold down, and then loose the window focus, the character keeps moving down, so I can just do something else while he automatically moves down the stairs and down to the portal where I can enter the tutorial battle. Will report what I find soon.

Update: It still happens. No combination of analog sticks/dpad stops the down movement of the field cursor... It is always moving down relative to the camera position, which basically means the game really just thinks you are pressing down, plain and simple. Only got to test for about 2 minutes this time before I got a seemingly random [E : RSXThread]: glDepthFunc: opengl error 0x0500 Dodgy Well, I guess it's just best to wait for either the PPU recompiler so this doesn't take an hour, or more games to test with.

When you switch focus away, Wx won't send a KeyUp event so it won't register as up until you focus it again and press it. Unless someone changes that (so that it unpresses when focus is switched), it will probably stay that way for a while. Tongue

Still weird, since if it's sending the analog stick stuff right (it should be... they default to neutral position when not pressed) -- which it probably does given Arkedo and Mandelbrot work -- it might be something weird with the way Dis3 handles input. It calls/fails some set sensor mode functions, but does the game really use Sixaxis? Might also enable pressure sensitivity, which doesn't apply to analog sticks (since they're... already analog). Dunno. Does it still do that no matter how long you wait (like 60 frames or something?) Without switching focus away from the window when you get to the tutorial area and not having the down button depressed?
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
04-29-2014, 11:25 AM -
(04-29-2014, 12:20 AM)derpf Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 07:16 PM)ssshadow Wrote: A very nice bug that should never ever be fixed: If I hold down, and then loose the window focus, the character keeps moving down, so I can just do something else while he automatically moves down the stairs and down to the portal where I can enter the tutorial battle. Will report what I find soon.

Update: It still happens. No combination of analog sticks/dpad stops the down movement of the field cursor... It is always moving down relative to the camera position, which basically means the game really just thinks you are pressing down, plain and simple. Only got to test for about 2 minutes this time before I got a seemingly random [E : RSXThread]: glDepthFunc: opengl error 0x0500 Dodgy Well, I guess it's just best to wait for either the PPU recompiler so this doesn't take an hour, or more games to test with.

When you switch focus away, Wx won't send a KeyUp event so it won't register as up until you focus it again and press it. Unless someone changes that (so that it unpresses when focus is switched), it will probably stay that way for a while. Tongue

Still weird, since if it's sending the analog stick stuff right (it should be... they default to neutral position when not pressed) -- which it probably does given Arkedo and Mandelbrot work -- it might be something weird with the way Dis3 handles input. It calls/fails some set sensor mode functions, but does the game really use Sixaxis? Might also enable pressure sensitivity, which doesn't apply to analog sticks (since they're... already analog). Dunno. Does it still do that no matter how long you wait (like 60 frames or something?) Without switching focus away from the window when you get to the tutorial area and not having the down button depressed?

D3 does not use use sixaxis etc. I also discovered that both analog sticks wok fine in Simple File Manager. Also, one of the analog sticks can be used for some menu operations in D3, and that also works fine!

So no idea here. Maybe it's a bug in the game that gets triggered when those two CellPadInfo* don't do what the game want's to... Thats incredibly far fetched though. I will test once more, this time making sure the window is focused when loading the tutorial, and waiting 60 frames (although I don't see why this would work, the cursor should never move like this, not even for a single frame).
derpf
Unregistered

04-29-2014, 11:36 AM -
(04-29-2014, 11:25 AM)ssshadow Wrote: (although I don't see why this would work, the cursor should never move like this, not even for a single frame).

Because I'm not sure if the D-pad also controls the cursor (also I'm tired), if it does and the window wasn't focused when you released the key then it will stay depressed. If it doesn't control that then you're still screwed. Tongue

I wish it wasn't too cumbersome to find out where the player's position is in memory so I could just warp to the professor dood. Maybe need to implement a memory scanner. Tongue
ssshadow
Administrator

04-29-2014, 12:37 PM -
(04-29-2014, 11:36 AM)derpf Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 11:25 AM)ssshadow Wrote: (although I don't see why this would work, the cursor should never move like this, not even for a single frame).

Because I'm not sure if the D-pad also controls the cursor (also I'm tired), if it does and the window wasn't focused when you released the key then it will stay depressed. If it doesn't control that then you're still screwed. Tongue

I wish it wasn't too cumbersome to find out where the player's position is in memory so I could just warp to the professor dood. Maybe need to implement a memory scanner. Tongue

I figured out what's happening. On the d-pad:
  • Pressing up - you move up
  • Pressing right - you move right
  • Pressing left - you move left
  • Pressing nothing - you move down
  • Pressing down - you move diagonally left (!) and down
  • Pressing up + right or left - you move in the direction of the last key press, not diagonally. So either up or right or left
  • Pressing down + right or left - you move right or left, but never down even if that is the last key press (this is a different behavior from up + right or left.), and not diagonally down and left either.

So there you go, diagonal d-pad is broke Smile
derpf
Unregistered

04-29-2014, 01:14 PM -
Well, that's... scary. Tongue Does that happen in non-combat when moving? Does it happen in other games? (Tried SWAP which probably does not care about diagonals at all, and the Mandelbrot app which uses the analog sticks which works diagonally. Dunno of anything else that works and uses the D-pad.)
ssshadow
Administrator

04-29-2014, 01:30 PM -
(04-29-2014, 01:14 PM)derpf Wrote: Well, that's... scary. Tongue Does that happen in non-combat when moving? Does it happen in other games? (Tried SWAP which probably does not care about diagonals at all, and the Mandelbrot app which uses the analog sticks which works diagonally. Dunno of anything else that works and uses the D-pad.)

It seems a bit random... If you go into settings in combat, and change which direction up is (The camera is rotated, it could be either upper right or upper left, look at some screenshot and you will get what I mean) it stops moving down. Sometimes. When you pick a character with the cursor, and then where to move, it starts moving down again. But then it stops when the character has finished moving. Yeah.

Edit: No diagonals from the d-pad outside of combat, it takes the last direction only.
haagens
Unregistered

05-03-2014, 09:45 PM -
(04-29-2014, 01:30 PM)ssshadow Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 01:14 PM)derpf Wrote: Well, that's... scary. Tongue Does that happen in non-combat when moving? Does it happen in other games? (Tried SWAP which probably does not care about diagonals at all, and the Mandelbrot app which uses the analog sticks which works diagonally. Dunno of anything else that works and uses the D-pad.)

It seems a bit random... If you go into settings in combat, and change which direction up is (The camera is rotated, it could be either upper right or upper left, look at some screenshot and you will get what I mean) it stops moving down. Sometimes. When you pick a character with the cursor, and then where to move, it starts moving down again. But then it stops when the character has finished moving. Yeah.

Edit: No diagonals from the d-pad outside of combat, it takes the last direction only.

Are you emulating the dualshock controller to memory-mapped IO in the emulator or are you high level emulating button presses and mapping them to an internal state manager or something like that? I have worked on an NES emu but never finish it so I know a bit about that kind of stuff and how it can be programmd