RPCS3 PS3 SA-CD reading and writing functionality
Started by PS3SACD

3 posts in this topic
PS3SACD
Unregistered

03-30-2016, 12:51 PM -
Hello RPCS3 moderators and developers,Idea

I am curious if it is possible to emulate the first two generations of PS3 consoles, namely the 20GB and 60GB first released models?

CECHB
and
CECHA

CECHE also works but PS2 hardware compatibility was dropped so I'd rather not go to this model's ROM because I'd like to see this emulator have PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility rolled into one.

The CECHB and CECHA have the capability to play High Definition SA-CD discs and true PS1 and PS2 hardware emulation. I would like to know if it is possible to make this emulator support SA-CD disc reading and writing. Reading would allow the ability to possibly rip my SA-CD collection to ISOs so I can stream my music rather than deal with the PS3 which is nearing its last leg.

I would assume this emulator may have the capability to read an actual PS3 ROM so it emulates it 100%? Is this something in the works? If I were to extract or somehow dump the ROM out of my original PS3 FAT could I somehow establish 100% PS3 compatibility with the RPCS3 emulator?

But more importantly my interest is reading SA-CD discs and writing them as well using my Blu-ray writer or possibly even a DVD writer in Windows XP.

Now the CPU Load would be pretty minimal since this isn't emulating the graphics of a game which is taxing. But if you're just reading SA-CDs and can exporting the tracks digitally pure 1:1 this would have added benefit to the emulator. The original PS3 allowed SA-CD playback until Sony decided it wasn't worth keeping the hardware to do it in order to cut productions costs. As a result SA-CD wasn't as popular in North America but remains popular in Japan. Also as more of these first generation PS3 models fail due to age or their optical drives themselves cease to read the difficulty of playing SA-CDs or backing them up becomes rarer. I hope my case for SA-CD reading and writing can be implemented into your RPCS3 emulator as soon as possible.

Thank you.
tambre
Unregistered

03-30-2016, 03:01 PM -
(03-30-2016, 12:51 PM)PS3SACD Wrote: I am curious if it is possible to emulate the first two generations of PS3 consoles, namely the 20GB and 60GB first released models?

RPCS3 doesn't emulate the hardware directly. Nucleus does that, but it's long ways off from being working.

Quote:But more importantly my interest is reading SA-CD discs and writing them as well using my Blu-ray writer or possibly even a DVD writer in Windows XP.
We can't support something in software, that hardware can't support. See the SA-CD Wikipedia page for more information. RPCS3 ain't a disc reader/burner, look elsewhere. RPCS3 only supports 64-bit OSes, so XP is a no no. I don't think we officially really support Vista either.

Quote:CECHE also works but PS2 hardware compatibility was dropped so I'd rather not go to this model's ROM because I'd like to see this emulator have PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility rolled into one.
RPCS3 is a PS3 emulator/debugger. PS1/PS2 compatibility is out of question for the foreseeable future along with the emulation for the OS (at least couple years). PS3 OS included numerous hidden features and hacks to support such emulation. There were even hardware features in the graphics chip for supporting such features.
vlj
Unregistered

03-30-2016, 06:28 PM -
Early PS3 had an Emotion Engine embedded that allowed PS2 emulation. Any PS3 emulator that would "emulate" first gen PS3 would have to embed a PS2 emulator which is likely not practical at all. Use PCSX2 directly for that purpose.
xXBeefyDjXx
Unregistered

03-30-2016, 08:37 PM -
(03-30-2016, 03:01 PM)tambre Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 12:51 PM)PS3SACD Wrote: I am curious if it is possible to emulate the first two generations of PS3 consoles, namely the 20GB and 60GB first released models?

RPCS3 doesn't emulate the hardware directly. Nucleus does that, but it's long ways off from being working.

Quote:But more importantly my interest is reading SA-CD discs and writing them as well using my Blu-ray writer or possibly even a DVD writer in Windows XP.
We can't support something in software, that hardware can't support. See the SA-CD Wikipedia page for more information. RPCS3 ain't a disc reader/burner, look elsewhere. RPCS3 only supports 64-bit OSes, so XP is a no no. I don't think we officially really support Vista either.

Quote:CECHE also works but PS2 hardware compatibility was dropped so I'd rather not go to this model's ROM because I'd like to see this emulator have PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility rolled into one.
RPCS3 is a PS3 emulator/debugger. PS1/PS2 compatibility is out of question for the foreseeable future along with the emulation for the OS (at least couple years). PS3 OS included numerous hidden features and hacks to support such emulation. There were even hardware features in the graphics chip for supporting such features.

From your point of view, This is not a thing because it is work, and as stated is pointless to do, also requires hardware which is not a target of RPCS3. and As initially stated the Emulation side is supposed to be for debug, however I can see this becoming more of a game player than a debugger in the future based on public wants.

From my point of view, It is not a viable option to make this emulate full roms and certainly not PS2/PS1 and hardware emulation, This requires too much time, and hardware. SA-CD is dead anyways IMO and if you wanted to read or write SA-CD then look into getting a drive that reads them and then using IMGBURN. It is not an emulators job to write disks, only read, and even so thats not required as most use ISOs and in this case Packaged games downloaded from PSN.