build an oversee analysis system from the main emulator to report, stop forum.
Started by regofaj

1 posts in this topic
regofaj

1 posts 1 threads Joined: May 2024
05-18-2024, 05:59 PM -
Hi to every developper and contributor of rpcs3.

i write you this letter to give you general observations about the lack of organization.

1) the compatibility list has become an absolute joke
- things  set to playable back in 2019 not even passing any mode in 2024 to even launch
- unity games not able to run on default settings 
- others stuff that need to go debug console to bypass hangs
- stuff requesting ticking cases here and there to the point about 400 games require custom config and generally the same fix..... 

2) the reporting is an absolute joke
wanna go github to report but u are new user ? moderation locked entry, no way to write anything... brilliant...
wanna report from emulator ? simply no existant ( yes, in 2024... from inside  exe, you cant... clap clap ),
need to get a log, sending it on a forum,  people have to check the references of the hardware, softwares version, making captures, the whole process is a joke. it creates a wall and you wont be able go beyond because of that.

3) less than 1% of users make reports... 
you lack information and valuable ones.

what developpers have managed to do is insanely good, but you are entering a phase of micro optimisations here and there that cannot be achieved without very good quality reports.

SUGGESTIONS :

1) inside main windows reporting 
witch would get rid of all manual fancy reportin about  exe version, drivers gpu version, conflit in game name instead of  gamecode on the forum wasting time to make police to keep things that cannot stay clean over time because of entropy, period.

the whole compatibility check of the exe points to empty wiki which is not updated at all empty i should say, need everytime to google rpcs3 + game name to get the forum page with sometimes, manual settings on forum and even sometimes on reddit !!!!. 
The whole compatibility is totaly pointless a this stage. a game maunch, ourah, it dosent, here we go again....

i sent in another logging last year a list of dozens of games never tested nor even in listing, all in playable status, they have never been added in compatibility list....
you do not follow the few of the reports you get because you do not know where to go and the free time moderator spend on this is  half wasted.

you have to lock EXE in default setting, period, more than 1300 titles any  region based are fully working, ( US/EUR in my case over 1700 ) you have to let people send compatibility with stars, fps, crash textures issues, based on key words or ticking cases,  from the interface itself by right clic, and the more you will automate the REBUILDING of a fresh database the more you will be able to follow over time if reports  increase or decrease in quality, and if a perfect status can degrade or stay.
Because you will have data to do so. and you will SEE over time what is going on.

You have to pause emulation developping and building a solid analysis system to oversee what is fine and what is wrong to focus on branchs that make real improvements in the code. instead of fixing daily some code cleaning,  no offense, but lately, you not doing it much, no offense i repeat, but how many times you still have hearly 2008 game that suddenly got a drop that go below 1 fps  for lame blast fire effect ( shitty psn games, i admit , but theorically simpler to emulate)  while you have acheived GT6 running , with third of updates, wtf ?

you condone piracy, fine, you want retex from legit users, fine, do you only understand that from a base 100 you will divide each time by 10 the amount of data collected from the users reporting ?
you think google or microsoft give a fuck where come from the data when they train their models ? lol...

build the missing tool to analysis the progress over a full reset game database,  you make too much regressions here and there on  MANY games and the flows are unfixed for years.
make data collect automatic if you want, build the view of what remain to be done. Most people not contributing  thru forum report because the effort to do it is simply out of the era/mentalities. and to my point, it is very shitty, let's say it. 
Have you ever though that someone with a steam deck would make a forum report ? lool.... (i dont have one, but i can imagine those, they simply will never do it ) while a right clic and som info to send would be made with ease an please every single time, i garanty this.

if you build a sending report system with statistics, that auto update, you will get infinite more data to see the real state of what is working, and is not and what remains to be done.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
i know forum modo will take is personnally and this has no much chance to even be read by the coders of the app. i would have tried.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""

With love, respect and consideration, even with my bad langage rant style  
( i insist i write it from the heart, it is not again the stratospheric job done over the decade, i just want to make contributions easier to bypass human antropy to get things done properly, there is not so much sculpt to make if final product, but your have to see the overall situation from the huge games list to realize where to make the appropriate swings to really polish this peace of human history of certainly the most complex emulator that will ever be made, i really hope you realize what level you are on, this is pure insanity.

so for fuck sake, make things easier for you ! pause emulation code and build a general compatibility/performance/surveillance system to reset the compatibility list, 
forum, wiki and all is obsolete methodology.
Ani
Administrator

4,374 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
05-19-2024, 01:24 AM -
Too many different things that don't necessarily relate in the same thread.

If something regressed open a regression report.
Unity games not working with PPU LLVM is a reported issue and it doesn't prevent the games from being playable even in latest build.
Games that need Debug Tab settings don't qualify for the playable status.
Requiring settings is normal, if we made everything accurate by default with zero settings then games would generally run like shit. If you see missing settings for your game, you can add them to the wiki.

New GitHub accounts can't interact with the repository, that's basic anti-spam protection. Wait for the cool down period before it allows you to interact. Otherwise demand better anti-spam measures from GitHub itself, otherwise this is all we can enable. Your so called obsolete forums and wiki allow to properly handle this, by the way.

Of course you can't submit compatibility reports from inside the emulator, like every other emulator, we have better things to waste our time than to reinvent the wheel.

What threads are you talking about that are in the game report section since last year but haven't been added to the compatibility list? There are none. These subforums are automatically scanned for changes.

Most of the rest doesn't make much sense. No one is going to stop working on the things they want to work on to develop some kind of automatic analysis system that you want. If you want to add CD with automated tests to improve stability, be the change you want to make, otherwise no one will do it for you.

Regressions are normal with the amount of modifications on core parts of the emulator that we have on a monthly basis, specially considering the scope of the software, most of them are handled quite fast by the developers that broke it, that's one of the topics I push for the most internally.

Couldn't care less about the piracy arguments, the no piracy rule is not open for discussion.

Telemetry to automatically send data enabled by default will never be added and we also do not want to add any at all even if it's disabled by default at this point in time.

If said steam deck user doesn't want to bother opening the forums or wiki to add their findings for a certain game, maybe they shouldn't be contributing in the first place.

Maybe one could argue forums are not as popular as they once were, and even then I disagree that they're obsolete, as Reddit is essentially a forum based social media and is highly popular, except there you don't control your own forum's data, plus the UX is generally better specially for mobile platforms.
Arguing that wikis are obsolete is just insanity, however.
This post was last modified: 05-19-2024, 01:35 AM by Ani.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux