RPCS3 Forums
Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - Printable Version

+- RPCS3 Forums (https://forums.rpcs3.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.rpcs3.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forums.rpcs3.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 (/showthread.php?tid=197442)

Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - nashismo - 11-07-2017

So guys, new guy here in the PS3 emulation, my question:

Will an i7, in this case i7 7700 (non K) be that MUCH faster than an i5 7600 (non K)?? For using it on RPCS3?

Are there any benchmarks or anyone who has tried with both CPU's?? I need to buy one of these but the pricing is quite different, the i5 in my country is $280 dollars and the i7 is about $380.

I know cores count in this emu, but will 4 more virtual cores be any better, considering they are only virtual?

I am not looking for responses like: "Yeah the i7 is much better in the long run because is more future proof etc etc." (I can figure that out for myself) I just want to see or hear about "Real world" performance on RPCS3! and if it's really "worth it" to spend that much more for the i7.

So guys, thank you with all my heart, I really haven't been able to find info about this, so if anybody knows, please do let me know!

RE: Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - nashismo - 11-10-2017

Nobody knows then? Nobody has anything to say on i5 vs i7? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - BurningSky - 11-10-2017

Unless you get a very good Price on 7th gen core i7 procesors, I suggest you to grab an 8th gen i5/i7.

Those 8th gen 6 core i5's are at least equal or a bit faster than 4c/8t i7 of the 7th gen.

Yeah I know currently there are only z chipsets which are more expensive than the normal non k chipsets.

But in the Long run you will get more for your Money.

Currently my i7 7700k runs at 4.9ghz on every core so basically a 500mhz oc(compared to your mentioned non k Version 900mhz) and has around 30-40% cpu usage on every core.

And regarding your question, yeah 4 real + 4 virtual cores are better than 4 real only since they can work on Code more efficient. They are not as good as 8 real cores but it helps as I mentioned above they are a bit like 6 real cores.

RE: Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - nashismo - 11-11-2017

(11-10-2017, 08:45 PM)BurningSky Wrote: Unless you get a very good Price on 7th gen core i7 procesors, I suggest you to grab an 8th gen i5/i7.

Those 8th gen 6 core i5's are at least equal or a bit faster than 4c/8t i7 of the 7th gen.

Yeah I know currently there are only z chipsets which are more expensive than the normal non k chipsets.

But in the Long run you will get more for your Money.

Currently my i7 7700k runs at 4.9ghz on every core so basically a 500mhz oc(compared to your mentioned non k Version 900mhz) and has around 30-40% cpu usage on every core.

And regarding your question, yeah 4 real + 4 virtual cores are better than 4 real only since they can work on Code more efficient. They are not as good as 8 real cores but it helps as I mentioned above they are a bit like 6 real cores.

Then I would have to wait for the new Cofee lake "Cheap" motherboards. Does anybody know when we would have those cheaper motherboards. Maybe march next year? I am just guessing.
Thank you so much man, in my country is honestly quite expensive and I don't even want to see how much those Z boards cost!! Hahahhha Smile

Cheers man, and thanks again!

RE: Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - BurningSky - 11-11-2017

Cheaper 8th gen chipsets are expected to launch Q1‘18.

I did a quick check in my country and the cheapest x370 mainboards(the „high end“ overclocker chipset) start at 100-130€(120-150$ I don‘t know exactly).

If your budget is really that limited then maybe check out the ryzen 5 6core/12thread cpus.

They don‘t score that high in high end gaming(gtx 1070-1080/vega range) or very old games that use only 1 core(exception is bethesda with fallout and elder scrolls, those are newer but still only really use 1 core) but you get more bang for your buck.

Ryzen 5 1600 costs around 200€/233$ + a b350 mainboard 60-80€/80-100$ where I live that cpu has 6c/12t like the i7 8700.

As I mentioned it is slower than the i7 but if you desire it you can overclock it at any time since those are not locked. 

Check some Benchmarks for that since Ryzen is a good option too(and they run much cooler that stock intel processors).

RE: Any real difference between i5 and i7? For RPCS3 - nashismo - 11-11-2017

(11-11-2017, 06:22 PM)BurningSky Wrote: Cheaper 8th gen chipsets are expected to launch Q1‘18.

I did a quick check in my country and the cheapest x370 mainboards(the „high end“ overclocker chipset) start at 100-130€(120-150$ I don‘t know exactly).

If your budget is really that limited then maybe check out the ryzen 5 6core/12thread cpus.

They don‘t score that high in high end gaming(gtx 1070-1080/vega range) or very old games that use only 1 core(exception is bethesda with fallout and elder scrolls, those are newer but still only really use 1 core) but you get more bang for your buck.

Ryzen 5 1600 costs around 200€/233$ + a b350 mainboard 60-80€/80-100$ where I live that cpu has 6c/12t like the i7 8700.

As I mentioned it is slower than the i7 but if you desire it you can overclock it at any time since those are not locked. 

Check some Benchmarks for that since Ryzen is a good option too(and they run much cooler that stock intel processors).

Sadly here in Chile, the AMD cpu's are not any cheaper than Intel CPU's. It used to be like that back 2009 or so, now it ain't like that anymore. If that was the case and I could get Ryzen cheaper, I definetely would, but price wise it doesn't make much sense.

Thanks though, and thanks for the feedback! The cofee lake CPU's are really something to look forward my opinion though. Thanks to AMD we are seeing more cores on Intel's part!

Cheers man!