Patreon for RPCS3?
Started by thatguyehler

4 posts in this topic
thatguyehler
Unregistered

07-12-2016, 07:59 PM -
Hi all,
I'm just curious if the RPCS3 team has any plans to start asking for donations to further development, perhaps on a platform such as Patreon. I know there is a Paypal you can donate to, but it seems that you can't donate from certain countries (I'm from Canada and I just get errors when I try to donate).

I'd be more than willing to donate on a monthly basis if the dev team put up a Patreon account to support their time commitment - and I bet you could get a fair number of others interested if you posted to Reddit and other areas - Cemu does a great job of this and is making good progress as a result.
Nekotekina
RPCS3 Developer

137 posts 5 threads Joined: Aug 2017
07-13-2016, 11:53 AM -
But cemu is closed-source as it's developed by limited number of devs. How it's supposed to work for open-source project like rpcs3?

P. S. Paypal link on github doesn't work. I think I can receive paypal donations at [email protected] but I'm not really sure.
thatguyehler
Unregistered

07-13-2016, 03:24 PM -
(07-13-2016, 11:53 AM)NekotekinaHito Wrote: But cemu is closed-source as it's developed by limited number of devs. How it's supposed to work for open-source project like rpcs3?

P. S. Paypal link on github doesn't work. I think I can receive paypal donations at [email protected] but I'm not really sure.

What about a service such as Bountysource? For certain types of features / bugs which need fixing, they could be posted there and users could fund those - so if one developer in particular is tackling an issue and manages to solve the problem, they get paid the bounty on that issue. Of course, that only works when the problem to solve is well-defined, and likely to be solved by a single developer - which may not be possible this early in RPCS3's development.

I guess I was just interested in how someone like me, who doesn't have enough coding knowledge (yet!) but does have time and money can contribute to RPCS3's development. I know a little bit of C++ but just by looking over some of the code snippets I don't think I know enough to really add much - especially since I've never worked on other emulation projects before.
Nekotekina
RPCS3 Developer

137 posts 5 threads Joined: Aug 2017
10-19-2016, 12:15 PM -
Nobody finally sent a single $ via paypal. I cannot demand anything (although I actually did a lot for RPCS3), maybe people also hate me personally. I must assume all this babbling about donations has been absolutely pointless from the start. I'm angry now because I wasted time, disclosed my personal data to paypal, developed some wrong ideas.
Kilowog01
Unregistered

10-20-2016, 12:17 AM -
The guys from CEMU are cheating, everyone can see that they are advancing very fast, are only making money on something that is already done for months.