Is not having LLE Modules the reason why most games freeze?
Started by mattcackles

19 posts in this topic
mattcackles
Unregistered

02-05-2016, 04:45 AM -
Hi, i'm new to this forum!
I have been hearing about RPCS3 since 2014 or so, but i hadn't got a chance to try it until a few days ago. I extracted the dev_flash folder from a UPDAT.PUP, and imported them into RPCS3. I notice most gameplay videos of this emulator don't even mention the modules, i am guessing a lot more games would play with the needed modules enabled? Or maybe something else is keeping games from being playable.
tambre
Unregistered

02-05-2016, 05:43 AM -
(02-05-2016, 04:45 AM)mattcackles Wrote: Hi, i'm new to this forum!
I have been hearing about RPCS3 since 2014 or so, but i hadn't got a chance to try it until a few days ago. I extracted the dev_flash folder from a UPDAT.PUP, and imported them into RPCS3. I notice most gameplay videos of this emulator don't even mention the modules, i am guessing a lot more games would play with the needed modules enabled? Or maybe something else is keeping games from being playable.

Most newer videos do. Ever since the LLE of modules became "public" the playable game count has increased 5 times and the progress has been seen as fast.

There also SPU and RSX emulation inaccuracies.
xXBeefyDjXx
Unregistered

02-27-2016, 11:54 PM -
(02-05-2016, 05:43 AM)tambre Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 04:45 AM)mattcackles Wrote: Hi, i'm new to this forum!

Most newer videos do. Ever since the LLE of modules became "public" the playable game count has increased 5 times and the progress has been seen as fast.

There also SPU and RSX emulation inaccuracies.

Considering what you just said, Loading certain modules crashes, but then when you load the complete module set from "Dev_Flash" it loads, but then runs out of memory to play (Obviously, it just loaded the entirety of dev flash modules to memory and filled the 256mb with modules)

Based on this. Would it be possible to make the program load them all as a file list of what you do/don't have modules wise, and then when the game requires a specific module it then loads and sets it up?

I'm a novice at all this and my way of thinking might be completely wrong, but do you see what I mean?

It would make your jobs easier as you no longer need to code in each specific function, and would allow for many, many more playables.

I understand the "Piracy of nands" being an issue, so you would have to leave the modules for people to get themselves *ahem* Github is a huge help *Ahem* but you can see what I mean.
Ani
Administrator

4,264 posts 105 threads Joined: Aug 2017
02-28-2016, 12:09 AM -
(02-27-2016, 11:54 PM)xXBeefyDjXx Wrote: Considering what you just said, Loading certain modules crashes, but then when you load the complete module set from "Dev_Flash" it loads, but then runs out of memory to play (Obviously, it just loaded the entirety of dev flash modules to memory and filled the 256mb with modules)

You can place whichever modules you want in the dev_flash/sys/external folder, it only loads up the ones you select in the LLE Modules window.

Plus, I don't think that's how the memory works in terms of LLE functions... I don't know how it works, though I'd guess the modules aren't loaded in those 256MB of RAM the PS3 originally has.
Also, I don't think there is a game that needs all the modules that are present in the PS3 firmware.
    Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X,   Radeon RX 6800 XT, 2x8G DDR4 3600MHz, Manjaro Linux
     Laptop: Ryzen 9 5900HX,  Radeon RX 6700M,   2x8G DDR4 3200MHz, Manjaro Linux
Old Desktop: AMD FX-8350,     Radeon R9 280X,    2x4G DDR3 1600MHz, Manjaro Linux
xXBeefyDjXx
Unregistered

02-28-2016, 01:02 AM -
(02-28-2016, 12:09 AM)Annie Wrote:
(02-27-2016, 11:54 PM)xXBeefyDjXx Wrote: Considering what you just said, Loading certain modules crashes, but then when you load the complete module set from "Dev_Flash" it loads, but then runs out of memory to play (Obviously, it just loaded the entirety of dev flash modules to memory and filled the 256mb with modules)

You can place whichever modules you want in the dev_flash/sys/external folder, it only loads up the ones you select in the LLE Modules window.

Plus, I don't think that's how the memory works in terms of LLE functions... I don't know how it works, though I'd guess the modules aren't loaded in those 256MB of RAM the PS3 originally has.
Also, I don't think there is a game that needs all the modules that are present in the PS3 firmware.

Like I said, I have them ALL placed in the external folder, and they are not used unless I tell them to load, but what if it referenced them under ticking them, so that it could load them when called rather than at the start, because then, it reaches closer to ps3 emulation, because I'm sure the ps3 doesnt chuck all the modules up at the start, Tongue

My guess is that they are loaded into ram as when you load them all it bugs out rpcs3 (latest build from appveyor, not the auto build) and warns something about memory. Which leads me to believe what I stated.
tambre
Unregistered

02-28-2016, 05:55 AM -
(02-28-2016, 01:02 AM)xXBeefyDjXx Wrote:

Like I said, I have them ALL placed in the external folder, and they are not used unless I tell them to load, but what if it referenced them under ticking them, so that it could load them when called rather than at the start, because then, it reaches closer to ps3 emulation, because I'm sure the ps3 doesnt chuck all the modules up at the start, Tongue

My guess is that they are loaded into ram as when you load them all it bugs out rpcs3 (latest build from appveyor, not the auto build) and warns something about memory. Which leads me to believe what I stated.

As far as I know, HLE and LLE modules aren't loaded to PS3's memory. Nekoteki could probably correct me, if I'm wrong.

Also yes, like you said PS3 doesn't load all the modules at startup. Certain modules are loaded by default during the boot process. Other modules can be loaded using cellSysmoduleLoadModule(MODULE ID). We load LLE modules during startup into memory, but they can't be used until the game actually loads them.
Like I mentioned before, not all modules can be LLE'd. For example LLE'ing cellGcm isn't probably going to work, since it will try and expect to interface with the RSX chip directly, which probably won't work. You also shouldn't load all modules and should probably prefer HLE whenever it works, since it's quite a bit faster.

Onto the auto-selection of modules. I have talked about it quite a bit before. The answer is no, it's not going to be implemented currently. We don't know what LLE modules the game might need, since we'd need to know if the HLE variant would work.
There is an internal flag (MFF_PERFECT_HLE) for HLE functions that will tell the emulator to always use the HLE variant instead. This is/will be used for perfectly implemented functions.
xXBeefyDjXx
Unregistered

02-28-2016, 06:28 PM -
(02-28-2016, 05:55 AM)tambre Wrote:
(02-28-2016, 01:02 AM)xXBeefyDjXx Wrote:

As far as I know, HLE and LLE modules aren't loaded to PS3's memory. Nekoteki could probably correct me, if I'm wrong.

Also yes, like you said PS3 doesn't load all the modules at startup. Certain modules are loaded by default during the boot process. Other modules can be loaded using cellSysmoduleLoadModule(MODULE ID). We load LLE modules during startup into memory, but they can't be used until the game actually loads them.
Like I mentioned before, not all modules can be LLE'd. For example LLE'ing cellGcm isn't probably going to work, since it will try and expect to interface with the RSX chip directly, which probably won't work. You also shouldn't load all modules and should probably prefer HLE whenever it works, since it's quite a bit faster.

Onto the auto-selection of modules. I have talked about it quite a bit before. The answer is no, it's not going to be implemented currently. We don't know what LLE modules the game might need, since we'd need to know if the HLE variant would work.
There is an internal flag (MFF_PERFECT_HLE) for HLE functions that will tell the emulator to always use the HLE variant instead. This is/will be used for perfectly implemented functions.

I see the complications, But as we all know patience is a virtue because the project is far from being remotely finished.

Noticed that most of the appveyor builds seem to break games in the Public release builds, Is this just normal smoothing things out? or am I being a dunce and breaking lles, lol
tambre
Unregistered

02-28-2016, 07:05 PM -
What do you mean AppVeyor builds break games? The AppVeyor builds are compiled using CMake and the Visual Studio compiler, so there shouldn't be any problems.
xXBeefyDjXx
Unregistered

02-28-2016, 07:36 PM -
(02-28-2016, 07:05 PM)tambre Wrote: What do you mean AppVeyor builds break games? The AppVeyor builds are compiled using CMake and the Visual Studio compiler, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Should probably make another thread with logs in support, but games like Terraria, Comix Zone, and others listed in the "Playable" and "Loadable" don't seem to work at all or try to load and crash?

No matter if I set the LLEs that It had the previous build it just breaks it.

I never seem to get anywhere unless I use the second interpreter on both cpu and gpu either, but that's just me.
tambre
Unregistered

02-28-2016, 07:43 PM -
(02-28-2016, 07:36 PM)xXBeefyDjXx Wrote:
(02-28-2016, 07:05 PM)tambre Wrote: What do you mean AppVeyor builds break games? The AppVeyor builds are compiled using CMake and the Visual Studio compiler, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Should probably make another thread with logs in support, but games like Terraria, Comix Zone, and others listed in the "Playable" and "Loadable" don't seem to work at all or try to load and crash?

No matter if I set the LLEs that It had the previous build it just breaks it.

I never seem to get anywhere unless I use the second interpreter on both cpu and gpu either, but that's just me.

Were you trying to run the games with the recompiler? Also, if the games no longer work, provide the logs and other necessary tidbits and it'll be moved to the right section.