Vulkan api release postponed
Started by Ekaseo

3 posts in this topic
Ekaseo
Unregistered

12-21-2015, 06:58 PM -
Its probably old news for you, but i found out today, so im sharing this with you ppl.

Quote:Vulkan Working Group Update - December 18th 2015
We have some good news and some bad news. The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met. However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!

Here is a more detailed update...

The Vulkan specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The Vulkan conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.

Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.

There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning Vulkan sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!

The Khronos Vulkan Working Group
tambre
Unregistered

12-21-2015, 07:00 PM -
(12-21-2015, 06:58 PM)Ekaseo Wrote: Its probably old news for you, but i found out today, so im sharing this with you ppl.

Quote:Vulkan Working Group Update - December 18th 2015
We have some good news and some bad news. The year-end target release date for Vulkan will not be met. However, we are in the home stretch and the release of Vulkan 1.0 is imminent!

Here is a more detailed update...

The Vulkan specification is complete and undergoing legal review and final polishing. The Vulkan conformance tests are being finalized and multiple member companies are preparing drivers for release. Implementation feedback is the vital final stage of making any Khronos specification ready for primetime, and the Vulkan 1.0 specification will be published when the first conformant implementations are confirmed.

Work is also progressing to complete Vulkan SDKs for Windows, Android and Linux. Google has upgraded to Promoter membership and is now on the Khronos Board to help steer Vulkan strategy for Android and the wider industry.

There is considerable energy driving the work to bring you Vulkan. We are planning Vulkan sessions and demos at key industry events throughout the year. We are excited about the emerging Vulkan ecosystem that will create new business opportunities for the graphics and compute industry.

Vulkan will set the foundation for graphics and compute APIs for years to come and so Khronos is taking the time needed to do this right – and the Vulkan 1.0 release is near!

The Khronos Vulkan Working Group

Probably still wont be too long, as the specification is complete and is under legal review, which might take time due to the holidays.
Ekaseo
Unregistered

12-21-2015, 07:03 PM -
(12-21-2015, 07:00 PM)tambre Wrote: Probably still wont be too long, as the specification is complete and is under legal review, which might take time due to the holidays.

Youre probably right, i heard that vulkan is better than dx12, but i wonder if there will be ppl who are willing to implement it Undecided
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
12-21-2015, 07:10 PM -
Probably won't be long. And as it says, there will be a full SDK and drivers ready soon too. Not bad really.

Besides these things take time. I recently got to test the DX 12 renderer on a R9 290x and it was buggy as shit and almost nothing ran. In Disgaea 3 it was even mostly slower than OpenGL (and yes the correct gpu was selected in the options, it did not run in what I presume is software rendering). There is work to be done still.