Give me your best estimate, what CPU will be "good enough" for 7th gen/Wii U emus
Started by jamieyello

4 posts in this topic
jamieyello
Unregistered

11-11-2015, 07:39 AM -
Already posted this on gbatemps in the Wii U section, I know these emulators are early but some games are already running full speed. Are requirements expected to shrink or grow as development goes on? Will rpcx3 break the rule of more cores > core power?
ssshadow
Administrator

2,494 posts 63 threads Joined: Aug 2017
11-11-2015, 12:39 PM -
It is impossible to estimate anything. If anyone says "yeah a i7 4790k should be fast enough" they are talking out of their ass, there is no way to know. Did the developers of pcsx2 in the early days know that a quad core CPU with AVX instructions would even exist several years later, and then be practically useful for the emulator? The answer is no.
jamieyello
Unregistered

11-11-2015, 10:33 PM -
(11-11-2015, 12:39 PM)ssshadow Wrote: It is impossible to estimate anything. If anyone says "yeah a i7 4790k should be fast enough" they are talking out of their ass, there is no way to know. Did the developers of pcsx2 in the early days know that a quad core CPU with AVX instructions would even exist several years later, and then be practically useful for the emulator? The answer is no.

It shouldn't be impossible. There are games that run full speed right now, people who have seen this happen enough should know if the requirements are going to be more or less as emulators progress. Or at least give an estimate, I mean I don't want a 100% answer just an estimate.
tambre
Unregistered

11-12-2015, 01:30 PM -
(11-11-2015, 10:33 PM)jamieyello Wrote:
(11-11-2015, 12:39 PM)ssshadow Wrote: It is impossible to estimate anything. If anyone says "yeah a i7 4790k should be fast enough" they are talking out of their ass, there is no way to know. Did the developers of pcsx2 in the early days know that a quad core CPU with AVX instructions would even exist several years later, and then be practically useful for the emulator? The answer is no.

It shouldn't be impossible. There are games that run full speed right now, people who have seen this happen enough should know if the requirements are going to be more or less as emulators progress. Or at least give an estimate, I mean I don't want a 100% answer just an estimate.

You'll need a quite fast processor and a DX12/Vulkan compatible video card. That's the best estimate anyone can probably give right now.
derpf
Unregistered

11-14-2015, 02:00 PM -
(11-11-2015, 10:33 PM)jamieyello Wrote: Or at least give an estimate, I mean I don't want a 100% answer just an estimate.

That is called a guess, and you can obtain one by a random dice roll. I'll help you: the answer is 4.

Now stop perpetuating this culture of "Will some imaginary 10 GHz hardware run MGSV?!?!?!"